jQuery not supported.

Making sure I get the correct tune - Tune lingo

Making sure I get the correct tune - Tune lingo

Postby czar97 [OP] » May 28 2019, 2:00pm

Engine is getting pulled today to begin a full on DOD/AFM delete with new (similar to stock) cam, lifters (LS7 style rollers non-AFM lifters), etc.

My engine builder has convinced me that he is well aware of the vast differences between our Ecotech3 5.3 (L83... Gen V.... LT direct injection) engines versus the LS engines prior to 2014.

My question is regarding the 'tune' that this engine builder is having done for me with his tune guy.

I've watched several videos on youtube for the Diablo tuner that many on this site use as well as HP Tuner videos that appear to be for more advanced tuning (see a couple pictures of the HP software screen shots that I'm referring to).

My belief is that his tune guy will be using something like HP tuners (not even sure how many other software's exist).

What items should I be expecting to be tuned?

-I have larger tires on my truck now; so I will for sure touch on that topic the next time I talk to my engine builder. I believe this update (on the speedometer tab of the HP tuner software) will satisfy a handful of other related ECU and TCU (engine and transmission computers... hope I have that right) details. I've been told by another engine builder who charges $550 for a custom 'tune' that his guy is able to 'tune-out' some of the 3.08 gears and larger tires that I have, but obviously can't make it run like a truck with 4.11 gears. And honestly, my larger tires aren't THAT much larger and the 3.08's seem to be just fine to get me to the 300,000 mile mark.

-What I heard from Katech (during a quick phone conversation) is that my engine builder should ask me what octane I will be running as that plays a major role in the tune.

-Absolutely hope to have better throttle response (as many of you have posted about on this forum)

-What else is there I should be asking about related to this tune? Make sure this is a "custom tune"? Is that even the right lingo?

-Even if I wasn't having the engine pulled and the top end completely rebuilt (I guess it's more than 'top end' being that the heads will be pulled to access the lifters); I hear so many on this site saying what a complete transformation a preloaded diablo tune gives your trucks. What are those diablo tunes changing?

Thank you again for any information.
Attachments
tune 2.JPG
tune 2.JPG (17.32 KiB) Viewed 290 times
tune 1.JPG
Original Poster
czar97
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Making sure I get the correct tune - Tune lingo

Postby dav2no1 » May 28 2019, 2:09pm

Here's my Q&A thread that may help answer some questions.

Diablo InTune Questions and Answers
2012 SILVERADO LTZ 5.3L -4x4 -6 Speed -Bilstein- K&N -Borla- Line.X -GM Steps -LEDs-Diablew Tuned
1964 C-10 383 Stroker -12 Bolt Posi -Custom Holley 650 -Hurst Shifter -Stan's Headers -2 1/2" duals w/H pipe-40 series Flowmasters
dav2no1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 30
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 5.3L LTZ 4X4 6 speed
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Re: Making sure I get the correct tune - Tune lingo

Postby MooseKnuckles » May 28 2019, 3:30pm

I would ask about shift points and especially shift points under certain conditions.
I've been meaning to do a Diablew tune review, but I bought a new house, moved, reno'd the old house into a duplex and got tenants for each unit all in 3 weeks while working my day job.. so i just havent had time haha

But I will say, one thing I really didn't like, like absolutely annoyed with to the point I wanted to just go back to the Diablo pre-set tunes, was the RPM shift points when under low load/soft acceleration. It would hold second gear to 2000rpm and I sounded like an asshole when coasting through parking lots at 20mph and the engine should have downshifted. Or even just in slow traffic holding to 2000rpm made me look/sound like a douche.

My thought is that if you are slowing accelerating or just coasting, you don't need increased RPM shift points, under those conditions you aren't looking for performance, those conditions should be intuitive for efficiency.
Under hard acceleration, yes increase the RPM points because if im flat out full throttle im obviously not concerned about MPG and performance is the goal.
If I want to hold a gear at low speed, such as when towing, that's what tow-haul mode is for.

Lew sent me a modified tune which put the shift points back to stock, though im not sure if that was just for the light throttle as i preferred, or for all throttle conditions. I need to load it on my truck still and see how it is.

I also saw a significant highway MPG loss, but I'll get into that in my separate review and when i get that updated tune loaded up.

Basically tell your guy how you want it to behave.
Diablew - Bilstein 5100 FR - Rancho 5000X RR- 14+ Corner Step - 275-65-18 TerrainContact - PowerStop Z36 - BakFlip FiberMax - Ghetto CAI with Airaid dry - Straight Pipe - Eonon Android HU
MooseKnuckles
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 50
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: LTZ 5.3 Crew 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to EcoTec3 5.3L V8