jQuery not supported.

Performance Parts for the Eco Tech 5.3l L83 Gen V Motors

getting greedy for power but not forced induction kinda power yet......

Performance Parts for the Eco Tech 5.3l L83 Gen V Motors

Postby 15whitelightning [OP] » Dec 21 2016, 6:34pm

Good day gear heads,

Took my 15' Silverado to a few truck pulls this year and it did ok-ish in the mark of 250' before a tune. My question for you guys, are bolt on upgrades, I know there are high flow injectors for the 6.2L motors, and more since it's a corvette motor (really should have gotten the 6.2 as the days go by and I think about it....) but I can't find a lot for small block parts. I've already got the K&N 63 series CAI and it seems to work pretty good, some people say they suck others say they're the bet, The dyno numbers I've seen there's no difference.... I've also tuned my bad boy with EFI live on a custom tune from data logging. So no, I'm not looking at HP tuner or Black bear or anything else.... I"ve got the best tune out there going now. Looking at doing high flow headers - any recommendations? Full 3" straight exhaust but I'll leave a 22" muffler on because it's a daily driver (but that muffler will have a solenoid to bypass it because who want's to sound like a electric car all the time)

Long story short, what else is out there for quick easy power asides a cam, and forced induction for these motors? Not afraid of a re-tune for work done.
Thomas

15' Silverado 2LT 4x4 Z71 True North Edition - K&N Cold Air Intake - Philips P5 LED Headlights - Tow Mirrors - Elite Engineering E2 PCV Catch Can System

Original Poster
15whitelightning
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4X4Z71 LT True North
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Performance Parts for the Eco Tech 5.3l L83 Gen V Motors

Postby MIKE91B » Dec 22 2016, 10:54pm

Well I'd say go for some rear gears but you got a 4x4 and you would need to do the front too. That's a big chunk of cash. Texas speed has ported heads. That's also big money. About 1000$ for bare heads. The injectors won't do crap for power without air flow. E-85 will run you 150$ for the sensor and misc fuel line. Then a couple key strokes and you pickup 20-30hp and torque. The corvette intake manifold and throttle body will bolt right on and work just fine. It flows a lot more air. A few tweaks to cam timing and your good to go. Curious about that custom tune you got, what changes did you make to the injection timing? Did you adjust SOI. What about VVE?
2015 Reg cab, 2wd, 5.3l, On3 single turbo, E85 conversion, 4.10 rear gear, and HP Tuner software.
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » Dec 22 2016, 11:10pm

Also curious who tuned your truck? If you tuned it yourself where did you learn how? I'm looking for any good sources of EFI Live info myself.

As for upgrades, the order goes something like this...
Bolt Ons:
Custom Tune
Intake: usually a tube is all that is necessary, stock CAI is usually good
Exhaust: long tubes and cat back depending on how your factory setup is may just need a muffler swap

That's probably all that is worth doing for Bolt Ons and newer trucks, they are already efficient and making good power as stock.

Once you tear inside you'll want to do cam and any supporting strength mods in preparation for boost, which is realistically the only way you will get some wow'ing performance. Gears could be very noticeable to, just depends on what you have and how much highway mileage you want to give up. You don't need injectors unless you are increasing power substantially or unless the newest trucks come with them already topped out as stock. You can probably datalog your injector duty anyway to tell.
silentbravo
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 15whitelightning [OP] » Dec 23 2016, 4:26am

To answer both of you, Motor Ops http://motorops.ca/ did my Custom tune, VVE and SOI were not touched to my knowledge, I don't know the finer points of what Cameron Anderson did, but I know he did advance my timing as far as 14 deg at WOT and 4 deg in the bottom end, Octane table went up 18 points at WOT, torque managment has been told to basically go where the sun don't shine, but it's still a tune that will perform well on all octanes, but more so on 94. I'm not sure how much flexibility he has with EFI live, either way what he did really woke my truck up and I'm excited for the new pulling season to smoke some more eco-boots by more then a foot or two, hoping to come close to the 6.0L guys.... It was all done by data logging, and it took him about 20 minutes to write a new tune file (no he didn't do what most EFI live dealers do and just buy a tune and upload it) he also tweaked my TCM and boy it shifts WAY better city and and highway. I'm not sure what exact powers he has to tune inside EFI live, we share similar but not exact same software as the LML's do, and I have the E63 computer, not the E93 computer.

Truck has the 3.08:1 gears, as much as I hate them, stuck with them (it's not so bad considering I saved 11g's on the truck with end of year purchase) So I'll be popping 3.73:1 E-lockers in the front and a G80 locker in the rear, that paired with T304 stainless headers and a basically straight pipe exhaust appears to be my only hopes. I read somewhere our injectors are good for 600hp, or it's the one for the 6.2 not sure, I knew injectors would have no real impact until forced induction - sorta like a diesel air before fuel. I'd have to check with the logs and double check that injector duty cycle. I left all that in Cam's hands, guys been tuning gas motors for 15 years or so. Guess I'll have to suffice with the quick and easy bolt ons, mild cam, and all the internals isn't until I blow a lifter (if that happens) then a Whipple 2.9L won't be far behind that. I'll look into the corvette throttle body and intake, I'll just have to see what it looks like, the OPTA has a few rules that takes me out of local into modified gas if I do to much, and some of guys are up here are at the forced induction level, with fully built drive lines. I'm not ready to play that game - and if I do it'll be with a LBZ or LB7 pumping high horse powers instead.
Thomas

15' Silverado 2LT 4x4 Z71 True North Edition - K&N Cold Air Intake - Philips P5 LED Headlights - Tow Mirrors - Elite Engineering E2 PCV Catch Can System

Original Poster
15whitelightning
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MIKE91B » Dec 23 2016, 2:14pm

The 5.3 injectors stop at the 550ish range but some are getting 600 out of them. The real problem is in the injection pulse width. The DI controllers will retard ignition timing to prevent spraying fuel into the spark. So increasing pulse width past 5-6ish ms is too long. That's why you see the meth injection systems to cut down pulse width and keep ignition timing up. LPE just dropped the high flow injectors for the DI motors. To bad it cost 6,000$ with the pump. Injection timing needs adjusted with cam timing changes. Just make sure when you put a bump stick in that motor that you get the injection timing adjusted. Also parts of the injection timing is let's say off in the factory calibration, no big power to be gained but some knock protection. And I love busting ecoboosts, I smoked a new wrx on the freeway just last week. Those 4.10s make for some real " what is in that thing" moments. Also playing with Driver Demand can be used as launch control. I cut sub 2.0 60fts on stock tires with a 2wd.
2015 Reg cab, 2wd, 5.3l, On3 single turbo, E85 conversion, 4.10 rear gear, and HP Tuner software.
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 15
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby 15whitelightning [OP] » Dec 28 2016, 1:51am

If I were to spend 6G on fuel it would be in a diesel for 100 over DB injectors and worry about the 3G's for a stroker CP3 pump next pay day.

That LSX manifold and throttle body, I assume it's bolt off, and bolt on no reprogramming required for the throttle body? I will have to see if anyone in the area has done a "light pole mod" to a Corvette or Camaro with a Gen V motor....

I'll keep the injection timing in mind and see if Cam did anything with it, I doubt it. Thanks for the input gentlemen. I will have to wait for the warmer weather to slap some parts on. These little eco-boosts don't stand a chance..... They have a fair fight right now, but there really and truly is no replacement for displacement.
Thomas

Original Poster
15whitelightning
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wildchevy » Dec 28 2016, 2:01am

NOS lots of NOS
oh and there is no big block small block stuff now they all 4.8 to 7.0 all use a block that is the same size
wildchevy
Topics: 40
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 1960
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to EcoTec3 5.3L V8