jQuery not supported.

performance upgrades?

opinions

Re: performance upgrades?

Postby jeffdt1966 » Oct 12 2019, 8:16am

I have the older 5.3 (2001) did a K&N cai , long tube headers to glass packs , no cats ( my county has no emission test : ) , decent street cam and other than a few tweaks here and there … the tune was an in your face improvement.. and a must have or no matter what you added the truck would still run the factory tune with a lot of codes to clear ( dashboard would look like a xmas tree ) I have not kept up tbh but when I did mine nothing matched a custom dino/tune from a good tech . This was our baseline and everything after that was tweaking it for different applications and environment's …. is this still the best way to go or have the home tuners improved that much ? I cant picture a preset tune matching a good dino tune but they used to be very expensive and likely still are ...
jeffdt1966
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby durandetto » Oct 15 2019, 1:18am

The preset tunes aren't great, but a custom Lew tune really does wonders for the newer trucks. The best part is you can switch back and forth and it costs around $300 less than taking it to a shop. My best friend works at a performance shop and a custom Dyno tune from his shop is nearly $800 with the friends discount. The Diablo i3 and a Lew tune costs around $500 all said and done.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
durandetto
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 6
Year: 2015
Extra Info: Ecotec 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby durandetto » Oct 15 2019, 1:20am

dav2no1 wrote:
cruzn57 wrote:DO NOT waste your time on a diablo tuner, absolute waste of money!

Not sure what you're talking about? My truck will spin through 2 gear shifts with Lew's custom tune! It's like a night and day difference with the tune!
He's not 100% wrong about the Diablo. If you don't get a custom Lew tune or similar the Diablo is a waste of money. The pre-installed tunes aren't worth the money.

durandetto
Group Membership:
Registered users

performance upgrades?

Postby ferraiolo1 » Oct 15 2019, 1:22am

Tune your truck back to stock after driving with a canned tune and then come back and say that.

But one also has to have propper expectations. It’s not about the hp increase (it’s minimal on any gasser) but more about the throttle response and shifts.

But another dead thread revival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 96
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby durandetto » Oct 15 2019, 1:29am

Maybe it's been too long since I ran a canned tune, but the difference between a Lew tune and factory is night and day. In the last month I've switched back and forth 3 or 4 times dealing with warranty crap. The difference between stock and canned Diablo tune was hardly enough to justify the cost of the Diablo without planning on getting a custom tune. Don't get me wrong, it made a difference with the AFM disabling, shift points and throttle response. The paint stick trick does wonders for throttle response too and that's free. All I'm saying is I probably wouldn't have bought the Diablo if it weren't for reading about the Lew tune on this forum.

durandetto
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to EcoTec3 5.3L V8