jQuery not supported.

Tuner

Need a programmer/tuner

Re: Tuner

Postby Torque325 » Sep 21 2014, 3:28pm

Why does everyone want to tune out the AFM? Especially people wanting MORE MPG? I don't get it...
Torque325
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 6L80E 4x2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jjg214 » Sep 21 2014, 3:35pm

Torque325 wrote:Why does everyone want to tune out the AFM? Especially people wanting MORE MPG? I don't get it...

People are afraid their AFM system is going to start burning oil and causing a whole bunch of problems. Its happened to (what I believe to be) a tiny number of GM AFM engines, but everyone with a problem posts on the internet and everyone without a problem continues about their life without announcing it, so it looks very "common" online.
jjg214
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4x4 Z71 LTZ 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Torque325 » Sep 21 2014, 3:40pm

I've heard of that oil consumption issue and have had the problem on my Sierra, but I dont know if it was an oil leak from a bad filter (filter had oil dripping off of it) or something else. Either way, I've read where people still had the oil consumption issues even atfer having the GM fixes done to it, and also after having the AFM turned off.... so it doesnt really seem to matter. Personally I'm going to leave mine on, even tho I cant even tell its working....
Torque325
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 6L80E 4x2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby AdiosF150 » Sep 24 2014, 8:02pm

Torque325 wrote:Why does everyone want to tune out the AFM? Especially people wanting MORE MPG? I don't get it...

Tuning out AFM increased my MPG, and thats also after putting 34" tires on

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2008 Silverado LT CC 2WD
Weathertech Mats-Brush Guard
AdiosF150
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 5.3L CC White
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jimnfor » Sep 24 2014, 8:35pm

Another reason people tune out AFM is the noticeable difference in sound it makes with an aftermarket exhaust or muffler.
*under construction*
jimnfor
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 47
Year: 2009
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Extra Info: 5.3 Tahoe LT
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Powerstroketech87 » Sep 25 2014, 4:51am

AdiosF150 wrote:The DiabLew custom tuner said theres no footprints for GM to find by using a tuner. Plenty of us run custom tunes and have warranty work done no problem. Just return the truck to stock.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Haha H&S and Spartan tuners claimed the same... but i have found themits NOT hard to find out whether a truck is tuned or not... OBD mode data and pid values for certain operating ranges. Sure they say there is up to a 20% variation for given pid values based on temperatures operating conditions, altitude, but when you see pcv vcv frp vct and mgp values for wot towing a heavy load in an empty lifted truck or see what the fuel timing and fuel pulse width... Thats with F**d diesels though... canned tunes i call over the counter junk. Custom tunes are the cats meow. Canned tunes in a 6.0 6.4 6.7 barf smoke custom tunes a slight haze or no smoke at all... of course the trashcan of doom that destroys pickups fast (dpf) has been removed egr cooler(s) deleted. but on some that only had conservative tunes 50-100hp at most with the dpf doc and egr coolers still in place it was pretty easy to find it was tuned...
Powerstroketech87
Topics: 3
Year: 2014
Extra Info: lLTZ Z71 ccsb 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Silvery13 » Sep 25 2014, 4:41pm

What does F*rd Diesel tuning have to do with the Ecotec 5.3 gasser?

And maybe from some one elses perspective, canned tunes are a waste but not for me. The canned tune made the throttle responsiveness alone so much better on my truck. While I have no illusions it made a major difference in hp or torque, it did make my truck feel snappier. I have no doubt a custom tune can unlock more potential, but for me the canned tune is more than worthwhile.
Not a member of the "club", not a self appointed "this or that", not a legend in my own mind.
Conceptual Polymer High Efficiency Catch Can, DynaPro ATM RF-10 255-70/18, Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded, Bilstein 5100s
Silvery13
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Topics: 17
Extra Info: Z71 4X4 EcoTec 5.3
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby CJohns44 [OP] » Sep 25 2014, 9:44pm

Anyone have the Diablo Trinity with a custom tune? That is the most interesting to me as of now.. Still looking for any other ideas though.
Original Poster
CJohns44
Topics: 1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Sep 25 2014, 10:37pm

^^ the trinity is going to be the same as the intune as far as the tunes. The only difference is the trinity can display live data such as gauges
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 136
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Powerstroketech87 » Sep 26 2014, 1:09am

Silvery13 wrote:What does F*rd Diesel tuning have to do with the Ecotec 5.3 gasser?

And maybe from some one elses perspective, canned tunes are a waste but not for me. The canned tune made the throttle responsiveness alone so much better on my truck. While I have no illusions it made a major difference in hp or torque, it did make my truck feel snappier. I have no doubt a custom tune can unlock more potential, but for me the canned tune is more than worthwhile.

What does it have to do with an ecotech? Comparing "untraceable" tuners and as a technician to prove they are IN FACT traceable. Not trying to be a db but if you read about OBD mode data and Pid data variations...
Powerstroketech87
Topics: 3
Extra Info: lLTZ Z71 ccsb 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to EcoTec3 5.3L V8