jQuery not supported.

Tuner

Need a programmer/tuner

Tuner

Postby CJohns44 [OP] » Sep 21 2014, 2:41am

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L, 6 in lift, 35in tires, flow master exhaust. Not stock at all basically. I want a tuner/programmer to help with MPGs and get rid of the AFM. Any suggestions on the best one to get? Also, will it void the factory warranty? Thanks
Original Poster
CJohns44
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Tuner

Postby n8dh » Sep 21 2014, 2:45am

From what I've heard and researched, tuners WILL void your warranty. Even if you set it to the stock tune they can still tell that it's been messed with. I know a lot of the guys here will go with a Diablo InTune I believe, and even more get a custom tune from Lew. Just my $0.02
2010 Silverado LT|5.3|4x4|RC 2"|Zone AAL|17x9 -12 Ultra Baron|285/70/17 Toyo OC A/T II|Airaid MIT|JT3030XL|32 Dump Club|Window Tint|Tow Mirrors|Tinted Tails
n8dh's 2010 Silverado

n8dh
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 37
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LT 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wildchevy » Sep 21 2014, 2:55am

If corporate GM finds it in the truck they HAVE the right to block warranty claims that could be caused by the aftermarket tune. This is always highly debated by both sides with people citing the Moss-Magneson act which was intended to protect people who used equal quality, non OEM brand filters and spark plugs, not reprogramming their trucks to have more power and remove fail safes that prevent drive line damage. Sit back and enjoy the show that is about to happen in this thread, it should be quite entertaining and informative.
wildchevy
Topics: 40
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 1960
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Sep 21 2014, 2:59am

Many will agree that the diablosport intune is the best. I have one and I agree. I can't wait until I can have it tuned by Lew.

I have a 2001 so I have no worry of warranty obviously. Diablosport claims that it leaves no trace of ever being tuned once you restore the stock tune. A lot of guys have just returned to stock and had warranty stuff done no problem.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 136
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby CJohns44 [OP] » Sep 21 2014, 7:22am

Anyone have any experience with the Diablo Trinity tuner?
Original Poster
CJohns44
Topics: 1
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby chevyguru » Sep 21 2014, 9:43am

Please use the search function, please. Your questions are the same as everyone else who posts here asking "Which tuner is the best" go to www.diablew.com and read this entire website it will answer every question you have.
chevyguru
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wildchevy » Sep 21 2014, 1:27pm

Except for the one he asked about the warranty.
wildchevy
Topics: 40
Year: 1960
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jimnfor » Sep 21 2014, 2:37pm

And for the record, a tune isn't likely to gain you any MPG, especially with a 6" lift and 35s.
That ship has sailed.
And like wildchevy said be prepared for a dealer to deny some warranty coverage with a tune. Us armchair experts can claim what we want and tell stories for days about what our neighbors dads cousins buddy had done but the bottom line is if the dealer detects anything was plugged into the OBD port and changed any factory perimeters or settings they CAN deny warranty on some things.
Regardless of the claims of 'flashing it back to stock' before going to the dealer, if a perimeter or value was changed it leaves a trail.
Some dealers don't care, some truck owners don't care (I didn't when I had my '11 6.0 tuned at 30k miles).
You just need to have all the facts before taking that step.
*under construction*
jimnfor
Topics: 47
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 5.3 Tahoe LT
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby AdiosF150 » Sep 21 2014, 2:46pm

The DiabLew custom tuner said theres no footprints for GM to find by using a tuner. Plenty of us run custom tunes and have warranty work done no problem. Just return the truck to stock.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2008 Silverado LT CC 2WD
Weathertech Mats-Brush Guard
AdiosF150
Topics: 27
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 5.3L CC White
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Silvery13 » Sep 21 2014, 3:21pm

jimnfor wrote:And for the record, a tune isn't likely to gain you any MPG, especially with a 6" lift and 35s.
That ship has sailed.
And like wildchevy said be prepared for a dealer to deny some warranty coverage with a tune. Us armchair experts can claim what we want and tell stories for days about what our neighbors dads cousins buddy had done but the bottom line is if the dealer detects anything was plugged into the OBD port and changed any factory perimeters or settings they CAN deny warranty on some things.
Regardless of the claims of 'flashing it back to stock' before going to the dealer, if a perimeter or value was changed it leaves a trail.
Some dealers don't care, some truck owners don't care (I didn't when I had my '11 6.0 tuned at 30k miles).
You just need to have all the facts before taking that step.

Agreed. A lot depends on the delaer. The service manager at my dealer doesn't care about tunes as long as they are canned tunes provided by the device manufacturer. He told me that at one point GM was extremely anal about tunes and anytime there were major engine or transmission repairs, GM was instructing dealers to scan the ECM/TCM for any changes to the stock tune. He said corporate has backed off some on this stance. Some say returning the tune to stock leaves no trail, some say it does. I honestly don't know. The MM act was originally designed to protect consumers who chose not to use OEM parts for routine maintenance. Over the years, many aftermarket add ons are advertised as being protected by MM. I believe that's a stretch. And if GM denies coverage and you want to fight it, you better have deep pockets and a good legal team.
Not a member of the "club", not a self appointed "this or that", not a legend in my own mind.
Conceptual Polymer High Efficiency Catch Can, DynaPro ATM RF-10 255-70/18, Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded, Bilstein 5100s
Silvery13
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Topics: 17
Extra Info: Z71 4X4 EcoTec 5.3
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Servicemen
Registered users
Next

Return to EcoTec3 5.3L V8