jQuery not supported.

2000 Silverado Airbag light / deactivation switch / no com d

Re: 2000 Silverado Airbag light / deactivation switch / no c

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 31 2020, 9:20pm

I always liked the challenge of diagnostics but not the pay. it was always easier to make much more money working on suspensions, brakes, and gravy dripping AC work. No body wants to hear give us a blank check it will be x amount per hour and we will call you when we find out what is wrong.
EaOutlaw1969
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 10
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Adnc [OP] » Aug 01 2020, 12:51pm

That's the beauty of what I do now, I strictly do work for other shops, mostly body shops, we they bring me the car they are desperate so the blank check is a corporate one and it always clears. 99% it's a burnt out fuse they over looked or a severed wire in the area that was damaged in the accident. And when that work is slow I fill my time doing ADAS calibrations on radar system. I stay busy and rarely bust a knuckle
Original Poster
Adnc
Topics: 1
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 4.8l
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Aug 01 2020, 2:06pm

Very cool, where do you get your wiring diagrams, diagnostic flow charts, TSBs ETC?
When I worked in the trade or had my own shop most of the time we used Alldata, back in the day when it first came available we bought the entire package with triad parts ordering through Napa. back then Alldata cost around 20k and you got a computer if I remember correctly and every single DVD they had on all vehicles they covered then you had to pay for updates. but even if you did not update it you owned what you had. now it is a overpriced month to month payment and you do not really get what you used to.
On my own vehicles I normally get a subscription to DIY Alldata but each time I add a different car as the years go by I get less impressed with them. in fact one car I had to cancel my membership since I found way too many errors to the point where I found it unreliable.
I wanted to like Mitchel on demand I tried them once and hated it worse than Alldata yet I think I may not have given them a fair shake since I was not familiar with their layout.
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Adnc [OP] » Aug 01 2020, 7:51pm

My current job uses alldata / we have access to every OEM manufacturer tech portal as we are certified to calibrate all ADAS systems. However each page is different and learning where to navigate to find schematics is a chore, so for those I typically use all data. The problem with all data is they may not have real time changes to procedure so we are required to always check the OEM sight as we have to attach a copy of the procedures with the print date to the work order to show we used the most accurate info. As you can imagine calibrations to a system that will stop a car or scenes blind spots comes with a level of inherent liability so CYA is always a must
Original Poster
Adnc
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Adnc [OP] » Aug 01 2020, 7:59pm

As a quick side note to my above issue, if the bulb in the switch on the off side was burnt out could that cause the issue? From what I can tell from the schematic it apears the signal wire runs through the bulb then off to the airbag module. I cannot say for certian that it is burnt out or not as I'm still out of town, but wanted to know if anyone else knew this as a fact or not
Original Poster
Adnc
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Aug 01 2020, 8:25pm

I wouldn't know about the bulb without getting my hands on the wiring diagram but is worth looking into.
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Electrical