jQuery not supported.

2000 Silverado Airbag light / deactivation switch / no com d

2000 Silverado Airbag light / deactivation switch / no com d

Postby Adnc [OP] » Jul 30 2020, 6:15am

Hello all, I am experiencing what i can only describe as a very confusing issue after a radio install on my 00 Silverado LS, I only bring this up as it was imediety after the install the issue started. After reinstalling the dash I turned on the vehicle and noticed the airbag light flashed the normal 7 times and stayed solid indicating an electrical fault with the restraint system, my first thought was I possibly disconnected the passenger deactivation switch as I began to disconnect the switch from the harness noticed there was not reason and stopped, I took the dash apart and confirmed that it was in fact connected by taking the connector off and then putting it back on hearing the lock click into place. For some random reason I decided to turn the switch to the on position (it has been off the entire time I have owned the truck) and restarted the truck, this time the srs light flashed 7 times and shut off, thinking maybe the switch was gummed up I turned it to the off position again and fired up the truck the see the light stay on after the 7 flashes. I then hooked up my scan tool (launch x431) and the only module I could discover is the PCM, nothing else, again weird as I had scanned the truck a few weeks before finding multiple modules. I have checked the obvious suspects like fuses and took the dash apart again and checked for pinched wires, other than this issue truck runs like a champ with not other issues I am aware of, I tried looking up information online pertaining to the switch itself and how exactly I can test it but have not found much, infact I get more hits for f150 and T****a Tacomas by searching Silverado deactivation switch than I do chevys.

Can anyone point me in a direction of trouble shooting? I'm not one to throw parts at vehicles, but the combination of all of it has me going through a loop.

Thanks in advance
Original Poster
Adnc
Topics: 1
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 1500 4.8l
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 2000 Silverado Airbag light / deactivation switch / no c

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 30 2020, 6:27pm

Hi I feel your frustration, Nothing sucks more than a problem popping up after spending time and money on what was supposed to be an upgrade for your truck.
Hopefully this problem you are having is a new event not caused by the radio swap but for us to better help you find out what could of gone wrong please inform us what radio you had in the truck, what radio you installed and what if any harness adapters you used.
Also let us know about your install procedures, do not be shy or leave anything out as the slightest detail that may seem irrelevant may just be the data we need to find the cause and hopefully the cure for your problem.

I am not very familiar with the 2000 Silverado OEM radio options if that is what was in the truck but I would imagine the truck is new enough to be tied into the BCM via things like delayed on after key off or speed controlled volume adjustments ETC.

This is where if equipped with a radio that is tied into the BCM, service procedures are important like disconnecting the battery during the install, keeping yourself grounded to prevent static discharge and never soldering harnesses together while any part of the harness is still connected to the truck.

My guess for now would be to double check is the pins at the ABS deactivation switch ( look at the pins of the switch making sure none were bent over now no longer making contact or on the plug side make sure you have no pins that could have been pulled loose or opened up causing a poor connection. it may take a powerful magnifying glass like a jewelers loop to inspect the connector properly depending on your eyesight I know mine sucks I used to have 20/20 now anything close up is just a blur. I know you said the connector clicked in place good but those pins are super small and one or more could have inadvertently got pushed over. ( this can happen easily especially if the connector is hard to get to )

I will say the only similar situation I came across was on a new at the time 2001 or 2002 Montero Sport 4x4 where the ABS light came on and it had a check engine light for the Vehicle speed sensor. It took a while but I found that the owners child was feeding the cd player coins like a piggy bank.
some of those coins worked it way down to the main board shorting out a few circuits.
If I remember correctly I just removed all the coins replaced a blown fuse reconnected the battery cleared the codes and somehow nothing else was damaged.
With this in mind once the connector has been triple checked unless you are sure the pins are fine from a previous inspection check every fuse in all the fuse boxes with a computer safe test light if you find any blown do not replace it disconnect the battery and you will have to look for the cause of the short.
EaOutlaw1969
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Jul 30 2020, 6:33pm

Did you do the radio install without disconnecting the battery and discharging the system? (After disconnecting the battery honking the horn several times, or turning the headlights on for a few minutes?)

Have you read the OBDII and checked for codes?

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

102,900 miles 8/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 92
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Adnc [OP] » Jul 30 2020, 8:25pm

Thanks for the reply, as for the original radio I am not 100% on the model (out of town atm but can look when I get home) but i can tell you it was Am/FM Cassette with the optional CD player mounted remotely in the center console. The new radio is a Kenwood double din NV series, I used a scorch adapter, all connections were soldered and shrink tubed using double wall tubing.

I removed the original radio cage (used a 3/4" hole saw around the rivets, the hole saw only touched the back support as I have the witness marks to verify.) I modified the cage to accommodate the double din and used the mounting screws to hold it in place.

When I removed the harness from the switch I did inspect the pins and receptacles to ensure they were straight and not drifted back, all looked good.

During install I had the ground on the battery disconnected and am fairly sure it was discharged as it sat for about an hour before I started removing the trim bezels.

Vehicle does have a tilt wheel which I did drop to the lowest setting for the purposes of removing the trim bezel, however there are no steering wheel controls.
Also work mentioning the horn works and I'm
Did attempt to scan as I mentioned and my tool is not finding any modules other than the PCM, nothing on the secondary network.

I would love to test the switch however I'm not sure what I should look for and while I am firmiliar with SRS systems and have Installed numerous bags I'm not sure what exactly I should look for at the harness, voltage? Resistance?

Looking at the schematic I notice the illumination signal feeds the circuit and then from the switch connects to the SDM to articulate the relay that either turns the passenger airbag on or off, I know that same illumination wire goes to the radio (throughout the entire truck actually) but that's the best connection I can draw from the radio to the srs system, if I am wrong please correct me.

Hope this info helps
Original Poster
Adnc
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Adnc [OP] » Jul 31 2020, 12:21am

Diagnostics done thus far:
Tested every fuse in both fuse boxes with my power probe, all fuses tested as operational showing voltage at both legs (ran through each box twice once with key on to check for proper operating voltage and another with key off looking for signal voltage )
Reconnected factory radio, radio functioning exactly as it did prior to removal with no change in condition
Inspected wiring in that area of dash, removed factory wire tape looking for cuts, nics, hard bends, and any other abnormalities, everything looked, felt, and smelt fine, I checked the connectors to the radio, HVAC, and abs switch all pins tight with little to no play when plugged into their corresponding components.
Checked common know issues for **** and giggle, body grounds on fire wall, frame, a pillar and all showed as active grounds.
When that resulted in no change, I moved my focus to the DLC and no comunication issue figuring fixing that would either resolve both issues or at least allow another channel to help diagnose the srs issue
Original Poster
Adnc
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 31 2020, 1:07am

You covered everything and more that I would have suggested, I would have to somehow think this is just a bad timing and bad luck and a new issue possibly not related to the radio install.
The next thing I would question is your scan tool. have you tried to see if it has a new firmware update?
I know it is a bit of a stretch but worth the few minutes to find out.
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Adnc [OP] » Jul 31 2020, 2:30am

Yes just renewed, however GM hasn't had an update in months, and I used it a few weeks ago to help diag a lean condition and I was able access all available modules.

What I can say for sure is whatever is causing the issue is in the circuit activated when the switch is in the off position, I'm leaning towards that when I turned the switch to on it may of fried or severed a leg internally as when it's on the srs system functions normally, I found a switch for $19 and as much as I hate to throw a part at it it's worth $19 to know, as far as the DLC issue I am going to have autozone see if they can achieve different results just so I can rule out my scan tool.
Like i said in the first post this has thrown me through a Loop, i actually work professionally as an electrical diagnostics and drivability mechanic, unfortunately the systems in to days vehicles are designed completely different than that of 2001, and with as little information available , including GM services bulletins and tech procedures, I feel that is just such a unique problem that if anyone has actually encountered it they have probably retired by now.
Original Poster
Adnc
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 31 2020, 10:56am

I used to work at a few dealerships over the years and also mainly got stuck with diagnostics and yes I worked the GM,Oldsmobile, Pontiac line and retired from working on vehicles around 2002. the only vehicle I encountered with a problem even remotely close to this was with the Montero I wrote about.
What I will tell you while working at the various dealers I witnessed more parts hanging and butchery at the dealers than I ever saw at private shops.
I watched the so called lead tech at one of these dealers bang out a cylinder head gasket job on a 2000 dohc Eclipse in less than two hours the guy was like a robot on crack yet just the next day the very same car came in on a tow truck and was handed off to another tech it did not go back to the first tech because he was captain gravy giving kick backs to the service writers and service manager and was untouchable and perfect in every way so he couldn't have caused the problem thus it must be a new problem.
I watched while I was pissed how my Coworker-friend the second tech was stuck with this car but I was knee deep in my own work so I only got to keep tabs as I walked to the parts department.
I saw my friend hang so many parts on that car I had to stop what I was doing to try and help get him out of trouble. At this point too many sensors to count a ECU and a partial harness was installed.
I did enough work to these cars for long enough I knew right away what was wrong yet went unnoticed by my friend, the tech - hack machine that did the super fast head job routed a wiring harness over not under an exhaust cross over tube burning through the harness shorting it out on the hot exhaust.
A few things that made me mad about this, first it was a problem I knew was caused by tech A and was made worse by tech B my friend by hanging parts on it. You would think that after it was discovered by the service manger the cause was tech A that tech B should have had to make this right by removing all the unneeded parts from the car then it should have been fixed free of charge and the customer should have been reimbursed for the towing charge then sent down the road.
Well that is not what happened. Tech b installed the second harness that burnt correctly and it went out the door with the customer paying for all the new parts and harnesses ECU etc and get this tech A got a piece of that bill!!
That is when I left that dealership and got away from working on cars.
The crazy thing is when I had my own shop around 1992 or so I bought a brand new Sun MSC 4000 with Simutech for crazy money I think well over 30K at the time many of the dealers had Simutech.
Simutech was at the time one of the greatest diagnostic tools ever invented it connected to the vehicle like a break out box yet the computer would scan every single circuit connected to the computer, if there was a short or open circuit or even part that was detected out of range It would show you the tools you needed the exact connector locations and what to check all with the battery disconnected.
I fixed so many hard to find problems with my Simutech my Snap on dealer would talk to dealers that couldn't get their techs to lean against the MSC4000 let alone use it properly they started sending me work.
The last shop I worked at where they screwed that customer had a MSC4000 with simutech stuffed away in the corner still like brand new with all the harness adapters cables etc they must have had every single add on known to man yet there it sat unused and probably is still there today. If Tech B had used Simutec he would have had the car fixed within 1/2 hour. instead it took over 3 days!!

I know I see these thing pop up on eBay once in awhile some with simutech some without but if I was still in the automotive trade you bet your ass I would start buying anything related to the Sun MSC 4000 or simutech since it could be bought for pennies on the dollar and still is the most valuable diagnostic tool for any vehicle it is capable connecting to.
I do not know for sure but since you are in the trade and have contacts around town one of those contacts may be sitting on a dusty yet working Simutech setup I do not know if they stayed in business long enough to have harness adapters and software for your truck but if they did it for sure would take all the guess work out of diagnosing your truck.

Below is a link to a MCS 4000 for sale just so you know what machine I am talking about I cannot tell if this one has Simutec or not I can see it doesn't have any of the harness adapters those take up lots of room and would be easy to spot.
I will say I tried a few years ago to see if Snap on had anything like this for new cars since Snap on bought out Sun and was selling these tools yet no one at Snap on I talked to even heard of simutech LOL or the MSC 4000

https://www.ebay.com/i/362725530085?chn ... gJrtPD_BwE
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 31 2020, 11:29am

One other thing about the Sun MSC 4000 I have used many old school large robot looking so called engine analyzers over the years and all of them would run a complete analysis yet anything the machine interpreted was out of range or needing investigation would show up in some sort of pre written cover its butt statement not really pin pointing or analyzing anything it was up to the tech to investigate why a cylinder failed a power balance test or why the emissions was out of rangeETC.
The Sun MSC 4000 is the only machine that ever picked out one single part after a complete analysis and proudly printed out just a few words " replace the cracked distributor cap" Normally while running a test I would pick up what is wrong a few minutes into the test by watching the screen while test was going on this time I saw nothing wrong just like every single shop including a few dealers that had their try at fixing a 1990s corvette when the test was done I couldn't believe my eyes because not only did I not see anything wrong or out of range during the test I was fully expecting if it found anything it would be a generic check this check that type of statement not just flat out replace the distributor cap.
I even pulled the cap looked it over found nothing wrong with it and almost put it back in then I changed my mind installed a new cap and re ran the test it came up clean with nothing to report after a quick road test by me then the owner of the car we both confirmed it was fixed. I was so happy and proud of my little robot bastard I used to call it I told the customer it was no charge and sent him down the road.

One thing I can say is if I had a good neck and back I would open up a small automotive diagnostic shop and call it Old School Automotive only working on vehicles that the MSC 4000 was capable of connecting to and diagnosing, I would charge 70 % the going labor rate for diagnostics and apply all of it towards repairs if all the suggested repairs was completed by my shop and I bet I would make a fortune.
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Adnc [OP] » Jul 31 2020, 9:11pm

Wow, yeah I started life as an apprentice for a Chrysler master tech who opened his own shop. He specialized in diag and drivability and authored numerous service bulletins for the first and second gen R** truck. So naturally when I started advancing he asked me if I wanted to be just a parts swaper or if I wanted to fix the things no one else could. Naturally I choose the latter, it was a rush fixing things that other "techs" couldn't. I also approach vehicles with the mentality of it's a car, I'm a human, it can't beat me if I don't let it. So far i have only been defeated once or twice. I used to go to copart as part of my previous job to get the total loss cars started because the insurance company get more at auction if they can prove they run, that's like doing a puzzle without having the box to look at..lol.
Original Poster
Adnc
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Electrical