jQuery not supported.

99 Silverado battery drain

battery drain, isolated to radio fuse

Re: 99 Silverado battery drain

Postby spacoli [OP] » Jan 16 2012, 2:43am

Update. I didn't find the problem, but the last couple cold mornings (coldest), the truck started fine and seemed to have full power.

A couple things that I did when I started looking into the problem.

Replaced a blown cigarette lighter fuse.

There was two black wires coming off the red battery cover under the hood. One fused and the other one didn't have a fuse that I could see. I think one or both (not sure) go to the trailer brake control under the dash. I removed both wires from the connection and check if the drain went away, but it didn't, so I connected it back up. I don't remember exactly when, but I noticed the trailer brake light was coming on one day when I started the truck. Then it was dimmer and eventually went out. I never seen this light on since I have owned the truck (around three months) I did not install this, nor did I use it or know how it's supposed to work.

I have not checked for the drain off the battery with the meter. I don't know if I should touch anything. :?:

So I'm wondering what I did or what the problem actually was. :?
Original Poster
spacoli
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Ext. Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jan 16 2012, 4:40am

I wonder why the battery is not draining down if you still have the power drain.
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby spacoli [OP] » Jan 16 2012, 12:13pm

I said I have not checked for the drain yet. I will give it another couple days to see how it's doing (we're have a cold spell with 10 degree mornings). I will will eventually check it.

I did remember one other thing I did when testing things out (I might have mentioned this, not sure). I disconnected the alternator and checked for the drain (drain was still there).
Original Poster
spacoli
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Ext. Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jan 16 2012, 12:49pm

I guess I read it wrong.
Jordan
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
Previous

Return to Electrical