jQuery not supported.

Amp power to underhood fuse box stud 2

Amp power to underhood fuse box stud 2

Postby domano 68 [OP] » Sep 21 2020, 4:16am

I am having trouble connecting my 4 gauge amp power wire to my battery. The batter is a side post and the bolt that holds the positive power cable does not connect well when adding the amp power cable. Bought a new bolt for the cable but it is too long and the power cable cannot tighten. So, I want to ask if I can connect the amp wire to the Stud #2 location in the fuse panel under the hood. I am planning putting the wire which has a 3/8" terminal onto the stud, then placing a nut over the cable terminal connection and tighten down. Any problems with doing this?

Also, how do you remove the cover to get to this stud? Removing the cover does not expose the studs, you have to pull the cover off. I found a few tabs on the bottom sides but still somewhat difficult to remove the side cover.

Anyone know what size and thread count nut would I need would be great! Thanks in advance!
Original Poster
domano 68
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Amp power to underhood fuse box stud 2

Postby nealinator » Sep 21 2020, 1:42pm

Here is a thread that may help you with some info: where should I get power for my subwoofer/amp?
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain188,885 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby silentbravo » Sep 23 2020, 1:38am

My truck may be slightly different, but the Stud #2 is only rated for a 30A MAXI fuse. If you are running 4 AWG you probably want a bigger fuse (I would assume you need more for that large of wire).

To get the plastic cover off, you press down the unlocking tab that is next to the fender/outside of truck, then across from that toward the engine, there are 2 little nubs poking out, you have to stretch the cover over those while lifting up and that's all that holds it down.

There is another option under the cover though, if you look at your fuse box lid it should have all the fuse laid out. There is spot to add a MEGA or MIDI style fuse that ties into the main battery feed of the fuse box. That might work out for you, as you can get a larger fuse size for that. Then the only limit to that wire is the short feed wire from battery to the fuse box, which is like a 4 AWG or 6 AWG.

I wouldn't mess with that except as last resort though, would rather tie directly to battery if possible.
silentbravo
Topics: 21
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 2500HD SLE 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby domano 68 [OP] » Sep 23 2020, 3:35am

silentbravo wrote:My truck may be slightly different, but the Stud #2 is only rated for a 30A MAXI fuse. If you are running 4 AWG you probably want a bigger fuse (I would assume you need more for that large of wire).

To get the plastic cover off, you press down the unlocking tab that is next to the fender/outside of truck, then across from that toward the engine, there are 2 little nubs poking out, you have to stretch the cover over those while lifting up and that's all that holds it down.

There is another option under the cover though, if you look at your fuse box lid it should have all the fuse laid out. There is spot to add a MEGA or MIDI style fuse that ties into the main battery feed of the fuse box. That might work out for you, as you can get a larger fuse size for that. Then the only limit to that wire is the short feed wire from battery to the fuse box, which is like a 4 AWG or 6 AWG.

I wouldn't mess with that except as last resort though, would rather tie directly to battery if possible.

Thanks for the response.

So you are saying the 30A fuse will probably get blown since I have an inline 75A fuse on the amp?
Original Poster
domano 68
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Sep 23 2020, 3:39am

If your amp requires a 75 amp fuse...then it absolutely will blow the 30 amp one.
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby domano 68 [OP] » Sep 23 2020, 3:45am

nealinator wrote:If your amp requires a 75 amp fuse...then it absolutely will blow the 30 amp one.

Right, just wanted to be sure I was following you. Thanks!
Original Poster
domano 68
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Sep 23 2020, 4:28am

Well it was silentbravo with the write up you were asking...I just answered for him. ha
nealinator
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Return to Electrical