jQuery not supported.

BCM Issues

Bad BCM Replacement

BCM Issues

Postby Darkredisbad [OP] » Nov 28 2019, 6:52pm

I recently picked up a 2002 Silverado 1500 LS to use while rebuilding my daily driver. Last week I went to start the truck and ran into a problem.
My key fob wouldn't unlock the doors, so I had to use the key. I hopped in, and turned the truck over to have it die out within a second or two. The security light flashed. I thought the battery might be dead, so I checked it. It was holding at 14+, so that was not the issue. I attempted to start it again, and the same result. I had to go to work, so I locked it up. The power door locks did not function properly, so I had to do it manually at each door.
I came back to it later with my scan tool. It showed a P1626 error code. I began to check fuses one by one, no issues. I checked electrical connections between the ignition and the BCM, etc.; all fine. At this point I figured the BCM was toasted.
I had it towed to the dealership because I know nothing about newer (yes, 2002 is newer for me), and I figured they could get it going faster than me. They confirmed that the BCM was not communicating. They also confirmed that GM has not made one of those parts in almost ten years.
I picked up two BCM's through used auto parts resources, and tried them both. One was from a truck with the same everything, options, and year; no go. The second was the same box (possibly from the same vehicle, I do not know), it had the same part number and PROM codes, also a no go.
The dealership told me that I should find a new unprogrammed one somewhere else since the dealerships can no longer get them. I need to either find a fresh unprogrammed one, a remanufactured one with not programming, or figure out how to remanufacture and erase my own.
Can anyone tell me how to accomplish any of these tasks. I have dropped $800 bucks into dealer fees based on the fact that they could fix it, and then they told me they couldn't. I am not afraid to finish having it fixed, I am afraid of having an $6500.00 paperweight because of a $200-400 part.
Thanks in advance for any help that you could offer.
Original Poster
Darkredisbad
Topics: 1
Year: 2002
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 LS Extended Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: BCM Issues

Postby GarryHarris » Dec 04 2019, 1:29am

Dealership Service has degraded to the point that they are like dealing with organized crime (and insurance companies) now.
You can buy GMT 800 (1999-2006) BCMs On-Line. When I was looking to reprogram my GMT 900 (2007-2013) BCM to add cruise (unsuccessfully), I found many new, used, refurbished, reprogrammed-reflashed GMT 800 BCMs. I didn't take any info because I'm looking for GMT900. Still, there's so much info on the net, you shouldn't have any problems. Worst case, call around and find a mechanics service that maintains a Delphi Tech 2 subscription and have them replace and reprogram it.
GarryHarris
Topics: 2
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 2X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby esox07 » Dec 04 2019, 2:27am

2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 289
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby GarryHarris » Dec 04 2019, 12:49pm

P1626 could be either PCM, BCM, IGN or loose wiring.
GarryHarris
Topics: 2
Year: 2007
Extra Info: 2X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical