jQuery not supported.

BCM no start issues

BCM no start issues

Postby chains36 [OP] » May 23 2020, 2:47am

Hello everyone, my 2007 Silverado Classic has been giving me intermittent no start issues. The truck cranks, starts then shuts off. When this issue is happening, the dash gauge warning lights (fuel gauge, odometer, abs, and etc) do not turn on when the key is in the ON position. The truck will function normal for a few weeks and then go back to this no start issue. The other day it happened again so I began to troubleshoot:

BCM plugged in, no dash warning lights and no start.

Removed BCM (unplugged five connecters) dash warning lights turn on when key is in ON position but no start.

Plugged in BCM, no dash warning lights and no start.

Turned key in ON position, unplugged and plugged in the blue connector on BCM while key in ON position. Dash
warning lights turned on and truck started.

Removed BCM again, truck starts without BCM connected.

Why does my truck start without the BCM? I thought this was impossible? I'm trying to get this solved, but cannot figure out the root cause. Anyone have any experience with this issue?
Original Poster
chains36
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2006
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4.8 v8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: BCM no start issues

Postby TennMan » May 23 2020, 5:38am

chains36 wrote:Hello everyone, my 2007 Silverado Classic has been giving me intermittent no start issues. The truck cranks, starts then shuts off. When this issue is happening, the dash gauge warning lights (fuel gauge, odometer, abs, and etc) do not turn on when the key is in the ON position. The truck will function normal for a few weeks and then go back to this no start issue. The other day it happened again so I began to troubleshoot:

BCM plugged in, no dash warning lights and no start.

Removed BCM (unplugged five connecters) dash warning lights turn on when key is in ON position but no start.

Plugged in BCM, no dash warning lights and no start.

Turned key in ON position, unplugged and plugged in the blue connector on BCM while key in ON position. Dash
warning lights turned on and truck started.

Removed BCM again, truck starts without BCM connected.

Why does my truck start without the BCM? I thought this was impossible? I'm trying to get this solved, but cannot figure out the root cause. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

The BCM (Body Control Module) isn't directly related to the engine running. The ECM (Engine Control Module) is responsible for the engine running correctly. Your problem is more likely to be a bad ignition switch than a BCM. A bad ignition switch would account for the dash not working as well as the engine not starting/running. Unplugging the BCM might have just been a coincidence.
Ronnie
2001 Sierra 1500 SL - Storm Gray / Graphite interior- 147K
Just your basic short bed truck. 2WD 4.3 and automatic

TennMan
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 9
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 4.3 -Automatic -2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby chains36 [OP] » May 23 2020, 12:02pm

Hi thanks for the response. I have already replaced ignition switch and ignition cylinder as troubleshooting steps.
Original Poster
chains36
Topics: 2
Extra Info: 4.8 v8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 5552121 » May 23 2020, 4:06pm

I just bought a 04 Sierra 2500HD crew cab and I think the BCM is having issues. I have researched BCMs for the last few days trying to find a solution that does not break the bank. I found a seller on ebay that I am going to use. They offer a refurbished BCM for my particular application/part number BCM for $149.99 (price can be higher for certain BCMs). You send them your BCM, along with your VIN. They pull the data from your old BCM and load it to the refurbished BCM and they return your old BCM and the new BCM to you. Like I said, I have never used this seller but they have 100 percent positive feedback from nearly 500 people. The seller ID is alsaeedali. This may not fix your problem however, it will eliminate your BCM as a possibility. Hope that helps
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 v8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical