jQuery not supported.

Cold Weather

Cold Weather

Postby blgriff [OP] » Jan 24 2014, 12:57pm

I received an error code " Battery start level low" Is my battery dying in this cold for only being 6 months old?
Original Poster
blgriff
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 22
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 5.3l V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Cold Weather

Postby jimnfor » Jan 24 2014, 1:23pm

It wouldn't hurt to stop by a dealer or auto parts store and have it tested, they should do it free of charge.
And it could just be the weather, several members on here have reported abnormal things with their trucks due to the cold.
*under construction*
jimnfor
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Extra Info: 5.3 Tahoe LT
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby GM Customer Service » Jan 24 2014, 5:27pm

Hi blgriff,

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your vehicle. I would recommend you taking your vehicle to your dealership. If you would like my assistance with setting you up an appointment with your dealership, please private message me your full name, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership. Thank you.

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care
GM Customer Service
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users

Postby esox07 » Jan 24 2014, 6:43pm

Did you receive the message out of the blue while driving or just after starting the truck after it had been sitting? Or did it happen after you had the doors open, radio running or other components on without the truck running?

If it happened after sitting for a while and was there when you got into the truck, I would say it is the cold making a weak battery show that it is weak. If it happened while driving or running the motor, I would say the battery is likely bad. If it happened while you had some of the electrical components running without the motor running, then you just run the battery down enough for the truck's warning system to let you know that the battery is running down and you should start it before it gets too low.

I would get this warning just sitting in the driveway working on my truck with the radio on after 20 minutes. I also got it sitting at a drive in watching a movie with the sound playing over the radio. It gives the warning and eventually will even turn off the electronics in the truck if you don't start the motor. I have yet to actually kill the battery or even have it get to a point that it sounded weak. The warning message seems to come way, way too soon in my opinion. Like you, I have a 2013 truck so the battery should still be strong. But there are other threads on here discussing this issue. Just sitting in your truck listening to the FM radio should be fine for several hours on a stock radio....not 20 minutes.
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 286
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to Electrical