jQuery not supported.

Crank Sensor Wiring Issues

Re: Crank Sensor Wiring Issues

Postby ASTE25 » Dec 24 2011, 4:22am

It is just two wires, correct? You should be able to tell from a wiring diagram (a good one) which wire goes to which terminal.
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby fish2222 [OP] » Dec 24 2011, 4:27am

3 wires on mine. Pink, Purple and Yellow. Pink is 12V, Yellow is signal, and purple is supposedly ground/signal return. Pin A is 12v, Pin B is ground, and Pin C is signal.
Original Poster
fish2222
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 1996
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: HD 2500 5.7L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Dec 24 2011, 4:29am

OK, it's not as simple as I had thought. What's the wiring diagram show?
Jordan
ASTE25
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby fish2222 [OP] » Dec 24 2011, 3:31pm

Here is the diagram. I have it wired just like this. The connector has a b and c molded into it.

Original Poster
fish2222
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Dec 24 2011, 6:53pm

I guess you'll have to try to find another truck and see which one goes where.
Jordan
ASTE25
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby fish2222 [OP] » Jan 03 2012, 3:03pm

Well, the wiring is correct. I tried another sensor though and it still will not start. But, from what I have found, the sensor should put out 5 volts only when it hits the pickup on the crank. It puts out 8 volts continuously, so I think I have a bad sensor.

Here is another part to this story too. We weren't sure if they wiring was pulled out by a person or a rat. But I am pretty sure it was sabotage now. When I pulled the crank sensor out, the bolt was loose, and the top half of the sensor pretty much fell out when I took the bolt out, leaving the bottom half in the hole. I seriously doubt a rat could pull hard enough to loosen the bolt, pull the wires out and break the sensor in half. It also has a wells part number on it, which I am pretty sure it has never been replaced. The weird part is that one of the neighbors has a truck about that same year that was gone for a while, and mysteriously after mine quit, his is back again. Course, that is what happens when you live next door to a house full of criminals. :(
Original Poster
fish2222
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jan 04 2012, 3:10am

That does sound a bit suspicious. If I were you, I'd put some camera's up wathing my stuff.
Jordan
ASTE25
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby fish2222 [OP] » Jan 05 2012, 3:08am

Here is the way the wiring was when I crawled under the truck. See how the marks are still on the ends of the wires from the pins in the plug and no teeth marks.

Here are the the pieces that were on the ground after I started looking around. The plug was actually in the sensor though, with all the wires and pins pulled out.

And last but not least the sensor. Like I said, I pulled the bolt out (which was loose) and the top half just fell out. There is no way that the sensor could have done that on it's own, and it wouldn't have worked either.

Original Poster
fish2222
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jan 05 2012, 4:09am

Someone definatly did that on purpose.
Jordan
ASTE25
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby fish2222 [OP] » Jan 11 2012, 4:53am

Well, I got a new sensor, made sure the wiring was correct, but still no fire. When I plug in my scanner, it still shows no RPM's when it cranks either. The sensor has power and ground, but it seems like it is putting out 8 volts all the time on the output side. I took it out, and tested it with with a power supply and meter. When I have 12v applied, and move a screwdriver across the front of it, it drop to 0v, and then back to 12v as soon as I take it away, so I would guess the sensor is working alright. I read somewhere that it should go to 5v when tripped but is a 0v the rest of the time, so I am not sure which it right. Frustrating...
Original Poster
fish2222
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Electrical