jQuery not supported.

Electrical shut down from brake pedal or blinker

Electrical shut down from brake pedal or blinker

Postby Mbenko [OP] » Mar 30 2021, 1:04am

Good evening all,

While reading through previous threads on this issue it appeared everyone has a different variation/level of severity on this issue...

Initially this problem on my 2014 1500 started as a minor dim of headlights when I pressed the brake pedal (nothing major just wasn’t like that before) in the last few months this problem has grown to roughly 60% of the time I hit either my brake pedal or blinker any of the following or even all of the following happen...
1. Headlights dim or fully shut off briefly
2. Radio screen and dash screen shut off briefly
3. Cruise control turn off
4. Stabilitrak alarm
5. Air bag off lights

Also, while parking my power steering often times will not work at low rpms. This led me to think my alternator was going bad however I had it checked at auto zone and was told it was doing as it should and my battery has had no issue keeping charged. Perhaps it’s still bad?

This problem has grown more and more prevalent over the last few weeks. Any ideas on where to start? Thank you in advance
Original Poster
Mbenko
Topics: 1
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Electrical shut down from brake peddle or blinker

Postby GBSierraSLE » Mar 30 2021, 2:12am

Ideas to check...
Bad battery, even if it shows 12 volts it can be bad.
Bad battery cables, can be corroded under the sheathing.
Bad grounds on engine, body, frame.
'13 ECSB 4x4 5.3 6sp 3.42 G80 Z60 Z82 Bght new, 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Stone Liner, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED 21,375 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 EC 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Re: Electrical shut down from brake pedal or blinker

Postby cottrillj » Mar 30 2021, 2:39am

Mbenko wrote:Good evening all,

While reading through previous threads on this issue it appeared everyone has a different variation/level of severity on this issue...

Initially this problem on my 2014 1500 started as a minor dim of headlights when I pressed the brake pedal (nothing major just wasn’t like that before) in the last few months this problem has grown to roughly 60% of the time I hit either my brake pedal or blinker any of the following or even all of the following happen...
1. Headlights dim or fully shut off briefly
2. Radio screen and dash screen shut off briefly
3. Cruise control turn off
4. Stabilitrak alarm
5. Air bag off lights

Also, while parking my power steering often times will not work at low rpms. This led me to think my alternator was going bad however I had it checked at auto zone and was told it was doing as it should and my battery has had no issue keeping charged. Perhaps it’s still bad?

This problem has grown more and more prevalent over the last few weeks. Any ideas on where to start? Thank you in advance
Body Control Module is my guess

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
cottrillj
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2008
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Mbenko [OP] » Apr 05 2021, 2:14am

All,

Thank you for your help/input. I have not had a chance to look under the hood for further investigation but after monitoring the voltage I normally run between 13-14V in normal operation. When I tap breaks or hit blinker voltage for a split second drops down to 10V and then restores itself to 13-14V. In addition, I have found that this issue is less if not completely goes away at night when my headlights are on. Not sure if this will narrows the search for the issue but wanted to provide this information. I hope to look under the hood tomorrow. Thank you all again
Original Poster
Mbenko
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Electrical shut down from brake peddle or blinker

Postby roorancher » Apr 05 2021, 4:06am

GBSierraSLE wrote:Ideas to check...
Bad battery, even if it shows 12 volts it can be bad.
Bad battery cables, can be corroded under the sheathing.
Bad grounds on engine, body, frame.

This! Additionally, if your battery is original equipment, it has far exceeded its service life. Get am AGM battery.

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

121,008 miles 04/01/21

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Topics: 117
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Mbenko [OP] » Apr 07 2021, 7:09pm

Update: I have checked the battery and it is hardly two years old so sadly it will not be that easy. Yesterday while backing a trailer the issue was so bad that the power steering was non existent, ac cutoff, radio, all the way to the point that the engine shut down. Based off what feedback i have received here and around town, it is a grounding out somewhere. I would really rather not have to take this issue to a shop but will do it if i have to. Any ideas on where to start in self-diagnosing this issue?
Original Poster
Mbenko
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Apr 07 2021, 8:04pm

Like suggested start checking grounds to the frames, engine, the one under the driver dash by the windshield etc
144,208 as of 3/5/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 61
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2009
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Mbenko [OP] » Apr 07 2021, 8:06pm

Good deal. After digging in the G218 ground seems to be the most likely culprit (The one under the windshield). Hopefully, this will do it
Original Poster
Mbenko
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Apr 07 2021, 8:45pm

That's the one I was thinking of, Just could not remember the G# so I did not want to tell you wrong. Good luck
144,208 as of 3/5/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 61
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2009
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Return to Electrical