jQuery not supported.

Front airbag sensor replacement

Re: Front airbag sensor replacement

Postby pipedreamer12000 » Feb 09 2016, 8:48pm

I guessed,,, sorta,,, looking up from the bottom at the 10 mm bolt head,, I noticed a slight cracking in the black plastic,,, when I took it down it was worse on the top side of sensor. water gets trapped in the bore area of the mounting hole,,, like a cup filled with water.. then it can freeze and split the sensor. I filled my new one with rtv.

I then ordered the other one and did the same,, it was also cracked but still registering. dorman 590-206
pipedreamer12000
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby DRYoung13 » Feb 09 2016, 11:18pm

I went ahead and ordered the Dorman sensor and replace it last weekend. I did the same and dropped the skid plate to see/feel which one may be bulging. Sure enough, my passenger side sensor was visibly swollen. After replacing it, my airbag system is back to normal. I figured it was a 50/50 chance on what sensor was bad, so an educated guess served me well in this case. :)
DRYoung13
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dmart729 » Jul 05 2016, 2:05pm

Have OnStar run a diagnostic check and they will provide you with the codes
dmart729
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby huangt » Jan 21 2017, 8:23pm

Thanks for all the helpful info. The cheap Dorman sensor for $60 worked just fine for me. I purchased the Autel AL619 code scanner for $100 and it read my chevy silverado just fine. You just have to know that there is a separate ICON on the screen for reading airbag codes. It told me right front sensor so I went right to it. Replaced it in 15m. Also, my sensor was clearly cracked open just like the pic someone posted above. So I guess you could avoid the scanner purchase just by inspecting the sensor. I like the scanner and already used it to read another code.
huangt
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2008
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Sara Rogers » Sep 09 2019, 2:42pm

hey guys i'm fairly new and in the same kind of situation. anyone know any cheap good links?
Sara Rogers
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2016
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby olddaze » Jul 22 2021, 3:11am

New member here digging up an older thread.
Among the many things currently causing problems with my truck. The air bag light is "on" . Got the service air bag message popping up also. Replaced both sensors up front (they were obviously bad, split and corrosion falling out). Surprise Surprise the light and message is still there. So after reading down through this post I'm thinking the module under the seat. The post about the recall just talked about removing the padding at no cost so it don't short out the module. Will they replace the module at no cost if it is already shorted? '09 Chevy Silverado 1500 rolling around the Ohio rust belt.
olddaze
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby shakenfake » Jul 22 2021, 3:45am

I think you have to get it reset by GM if I remember correctly
Bandito
LQ4 Swapped 99 ECSB