jQuery not supported.

Front airbag sensor replacement

Front airbag sensor replacement

Postby country1911 [OP] » Mar 08 2013, 10:51pm

I have an airbag code of B0084 which is the passenger side airbag sensor. I have a part number of 15297468 but am curious if anyone has had luck with the dorman parts which are a third of the price? It seems these are a common failure point in the airbag system amd I may have to replace them more than once in the life of the truck. I am out of warranty.
Original Poster
country1911
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 46
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2018
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: CCSB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Front airbag sensor replacement

Postby WIZARD » Mar 08 2013, 11:04pm

JUST DID MINE WITH A DORMAN FROM EBAY 59.00 LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME i had to spray the mount bolt a work it back and forth so wouls not break off in frame

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321042049534?ss ... 1438.l2649
WIZARD
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 xcab v8 4x4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby country1911 [OP] » Mar 09 2013, 1:03am

Yeah after some research I think I am going with dorman. It doesnt look like it will pop the bags when it fails which is my major concern.

Fwiw, I have read of these sensors failing after 2 years, especially in climates like Michigan. For $60 it is much easier to swallow changing a sensor out. The GM part was $153 at gmpartsdirect.com but they wanted $30+ for shipping!! I said no thank you...
Original Poster
country1911
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby country1911 [OP] » Mar 14 2013, 9:54pm

Put my dorman part in today, took about 25 minutes. Hardest part was the bolt was directly over the cross member and I had to use an end wrench to loosen and tighten it. This is the part I removed. I dont see anything wrong with it... Image
Original Poster
country1911
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rj_michigan » Aug 01 2013, 9:15pm

The part that you are showing in the post is cracked!! Look at the housing under the label. This is common and GM needs to know that the housings are cracking after 3 to 4 years,Also call NHSTA and file a complaint issue My 08 had the same problem and GM dealer fixed it for 25.00,Yes the dealer did the work.They need to know that they are installing poorly designed parts that are 250.00 each and only last 4 to 5 years in the north eaststates
Rj_michigan
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby JKapanke » May 31 2015, 9:31pm

I had the same issue on my 2008 Silverado with the right front ( passenger side ) air bag sensor which sits behind the bumper and is accessible from underneath the truck- scan code of B0084. Couple of items to remember as part of this replacement. First, make sure the negative battery cable is disconnected. Second, that area of the truck has a lot of road grime buildup so the bolt holding the sensor in place will have build up on it so clean that area and add a little lubricant before replacing the part. Disconnect the negative battery cable, remove the plastic skid plate's 15 mm bolts, disconnect the wiring harness on the air bag sensor - the harness has a pin holding the connector in place - then remove the bolt with a 10mm wrench. Installation is reversal of this process. After the truck is restarted, the airbag warning should disappear on the console. I paid about $60 for this sensor at a local auto parts store and it took me about 45 minutes to replace the broken sensor.
JKapanke
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby pipedreamer12000 » May 31 2015, 10:11pm

same as everyone else here,,, dorman 590-206

mine was the drivers side. and it was also split, my bolt broke off, so I drilled a hole next to the original, just far enough to reach with a wabble socket and extension. I used a self tapper bolt,, LOL,,, and also filled the whole cavaty up through sensor where bolt goes through with RTV so no more water can get trapped in there and freeze again resulting in another split sensor. I also worked the passanger side one off too,, so I could do the same with the RTV,, this one actually had water trapped in it too. then when re installing I smeered antiseeze in the threads on frame.

then my mind went if over kill mode and I covered the whole sensor between fram and sensor too,, with RTV... no more corrosion issues..

And yes, GM should have done something about this too,, but ,,,, well they do if you cry loud enough,, as they did many years ago once for me too... under warranty... with no precautions or sealing whats so ever too. hopefully this time around they out last me,,,, what a shame ehhh? you can continue driving the truck with the air bag light on,, or in operable,, but,, if your engine lite is on for some insagnificant issue like the EVAP solinoid,, your wife cant use her remote start,,, and she drives you crazy about it,, or makes you got start her truck for her.. LOL either that or I have to sleep on the couch,,, LOL... 23 years of raising kids, and being married,,,, will "train" ya. I've been "trained"
pipedreamer12000
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby DRYoung13 » Jan 26 2016, 6:37am

I have the check airbag system message, but can't figure out how figure out how to tell if it is right or left sensor. Do I need to buy an expensive scanner or will scanners at my local Oreillys tell me?
DRYoung13
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2007
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GMT604 » Jan 26 2016, 6:45am

Cheap code readers won't work, you need to visit a shop with an uplevel scantool.
GMT604
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2001
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby DRYoung13 » Jan 26 2016, 6:59am

So, it would be cheaper to guess and/or replace both?
DRYoung13
Year: 2007
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Electrical