jQuery not supported.

Got a new camper shell

3rd light help on camper shell

Got a new camper shell

Postby ChedBob [OP] » Jun 01 2014, 10:14pm

Hey y'all. Need help setting up the third brake light for my camper shell. I have the plug off the shell. I know I need an extension but I need a more indepth explanation on how to do it.
Thank you
Original Poster
ChedBob
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3L V8 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Got a new camper shell

Postby Rios09SLE » Jun 01 2014, 10:17pm

Is your question about the rear brake light? On my 09 I ran the extension from the rear of the truck to inside the cab. Then splice into the the orange wire for the brake light.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Rios09SLE
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 45
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ChedBob [OP] » Jun 01 2014, 10:27pm

Yeah it is. And okay it seems easy enough.
Thanks!
Original Poster
ChedBob
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rios09SLE » Jun 01 2014, 10:39pm

The hardest part is running it in a safe place

Rios09SLE
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby allterrainjoe » Jun 01 2014, 10:52pm

Why not tap into the brake light in the tail light ...
allterrainjoe
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 101
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500 HD Duramax
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Jun 01 2014, 11:04pm

Joe, there is actually a safe wire to splice to depending on your year of truck (sometimes it is near the rear tag light assy and on other years it is under the dash)...the wire (orange in color) is separated from the rest of the bundle and has some weird abbreviation like GMBLS taped to it. This is all in theory of course...I paid money to have a professional do it so that I didn't short out the entire truck whilst touching two of the wrong wires together. Lemme introduce you to my friend Murphy someday.
Tracy likes to be man-handled
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 300
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...usually in the form of a tornado.
Extra Info: Sounds fast
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Rios09SLE » Jun 02 2014, 2:37am

What was stated above is correct. Like on mine which is a nnbs the dealer told me that I couldn't splice at the tail lights cause the light would flash. So I ran it to the front and spliced it to the orange wire. It worked fine. Did it myself.

Rios09SLE
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby WrenZ71 » Jun 02 2014, 2:56am

Onlyina_Chevy wrote:Joe, there is actually a safe wire to splice to depending on your year of truck (sometimes it is near the rear tag light assy and on other years it is under the dash)...the wire (orange in color) is separated from the rest of the bundle and has some weird abbreviation like GMBLS taped to it. This is all in theory of course...I paid money to have a professional do it so that I didn't short out the entire truck whilst touching two of the wrong wires together. Lemme introduce you to my friend Murphy someday.

CHMSL(center high mount stop lamp)

For NNBS trucks(and maybe N3BS)The wire you speak of is in the bundle with the blunt cut trailer brake controller wires.Located under the driver side of the dash near the brake pedal.Even if the truck is equipped with the factory integrated trailer brake the wires are still there.

The NBS (and maybe OBS trucks)the wire is hanging out on the back side of the trailer plug.Just a odd ball wire hanging off the connector that connects to the trailer plug.
Even if the truck wasn't equipped from the factory with a trailer plug the connector is still back there.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD,LT,6.0L,4x4
2017 Chevy Equinox,LT,2.4L,FWD(Wife's Car)
WrenZ71
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0 4x4 LT
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby rpracing » Jun 02 2014, 7:24am

99-06 with trailer 7way plug have a light blue wire right behind the 7 way with a terminated plug. That's the 3 rd brake light wire. Forget trying to find a plug to plug into it. GM wants $35ish for it. I just wired my shells 3rd brake up last weekend (replaced the old behind the window one that didn't work with a new 9" led on that mounts to the outside). Drilled a hole in the shells rail where the stake pocket is and ran the wires down between the outer bed skin and inner skin. Ran the ground into the taillight area and grounded it there and the power ran along the left brake light loom to where the factory 3rd brake wire was. Use HEAT SHRINK after you connect it. I taped mine up also and set it so the splice was in a protected area to keep spray off of it as much as possible.

What I don't get is why GM decided to move the CMHSL wire to inside the truck on the nnbs and beyond. Worked so much better when they put it there in the nbs. Then again the manufacturers seem to like to make things waaaaaaaay more complicated than they need to be (ie running every chime through the radio when a simple buzzer worked fine for DECADES).
rpracing
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Year: 2003
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ChedBob [OP] » Jun 02 2014, 5:34pm

Thanks all. For all the info!!! Helped a lot!
Original Poster
ChedBob
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Electrical