jQuery not supported.

Headlight Bulb Offset????

Headlight Bulb Offset????

Postby Bigskyguy81 [OP] » Sep 19 2020, 9:26pm

IMG_5053.jpg

I decided to upgrade the headlight bulbs in my 2014 Silverado 1500.  I replaced all bulbs without problems except the drivers side upper (low beam). Also the housing is different than the high beam bulb housing. I cannot get the cover on with the new bulb. It looks like the bulb housing is offset in the opening and closer to the sidewall than the high beam.  It doesn't line up with the high beam bulb housing which is centered in the opening.  Even without any bulb in it is a real bugger to get the cover on.  I should add that a motorcycle hit my truck and the entire headlight assembly is an aftermarket and of course the bulb covers are aftermarket.  I'm currently driving with the lower quality bulb which looks really odd because it is not as bright as the other three.

Sorry for the pic on the side, don't know how to rotate.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Original Poster
Bigskyguy81
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Headlight Bulb Offset????

Postby roorancher » Sep 19 2020, 11:36pm

Are you sure the bulb is installed and seated correctly? In the picture I can still see the red o-ring, and therefore it does not appear compressed enough where the bulb has engaged the lock ring in the housing. Remove the bulb and inspect the lock ring. Try to make sure all the little tabs engage.

Just as a side note, I tried aftermarket housings when my original housings became crazed and cloudy. They were crap. Fitment problems. Went on FB Marketplace and bought OEM takeoffs. No problems, but I have since change to Winjet Renegade Sequentials with HID bulbs and couldn't be happier.

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

105,200 miles 9/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Sep 20 2020, 2:42am

Looks to me like the aftermarket housing plug on the end of the H11 bulb is just a bit long and I am presuming that is your interference with the cover. Not sure why that would be since the halogen bulb should be what they come with.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain188,885 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby Chevy Trucker » Sep 20 2020, 5:51am

Does it fit into the passenger side? Does the passenger bulb fit into the drivers. Does comparing them side-by-side show any difference?
Chevy Trucker
Topics: 1
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: V6 Double Cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bigskyguy81 [OP] » Sep 20 2020, 6:24am

Let me clarify that the bulb in the picture for the low beam is a factory bulb and the cover does go on that one, after a few cuss words and some work. I had already given up trying to get the new bulb in. I took the covers off for the picture. The bulb in the high beam is the replacement and the cover goes all of them except the drivers low beam. A side by side comparison shows the replacement bulb sticks out a little further. But how come a problem on just one cover? It really seems like the bulb is not centered in the opening and that is what is causing the problem.

I may have to buy OEM housing.

Thanks
Original Poster
Bigskyguy81
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bigskyguy81 [OP] » Sep 21 2020, 6:56pm

Will definitely not be getting it through the dealer. They want $810 plus tax. Will be looking at junkyards, marketplace and ebay.
Original Poster
Bigskyguy81
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Sep 21 2020, 7:21pm

I found mine when I needed them on Facebook Marketplace for $300 for the pair, at the time....And they were basically brand new OEM take-offs....
Of course, I'm in Texas, and trucks are plentiful!

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

105,200 miles 9/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical