jQuery not supported.

How to replace negative battery cable 99 Silverado

How to replace negative battery cable 99 Silverado

Postby Nick51786 [OP] » Jan 15 2015, 5:32am

I believe my negative battery cable is causing my jumping volt gauge. When it's acting up if I mess with it where it goes behind the engine the problem will go away. Now my question is how do I go about replacing it. I can't see where it's connected back there. I see it also runs along the bottom of the radiator. It's just the connection behind the engine I'm having difficulty with. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Original Poster
Nick51786
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: How to replace negative battery cable 99 Silverado

Postby j8manski » Jan 15 2015, 5:49am

I would leave the cable. Then rim a cable from any bold on the block, like maybe where a bracket is connected or the alternator, and run it to the battery. Then run another cable from the battery to any spot on the frame, NOT the body. But leave the old wires there.
j8manski
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 13
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: Z71 4x4 5.3L 3.86
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Nick51786 [OP] » Jan 15 2015, 7:27am

So I can just disconnect the old negative battery cable and leave it? That sounds way easier then trying to get back there and removing the old one
Original Poster
Nick51786
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby j8manski » Jan 15 2015, 7:38am

You can either disconnect it and leave it, or keep it connected and still add your new wires. It can't hurt at all. I have 2 wires going from my alternator to my battery. I was getting headlight dimming with my audio system and also even my blower motor would make my lights dim. I looked under the hood and noticed that all my wiring is all 4 awg, EXCEPT for the alternator to battery wire. That was 10awg or something small like that. So I added a 4 awg wire along side the original wire. That way if 1 gets a bad connection, the other will act as a backup. Also, less current through each wire as they will be in paralell. But it's entirely your call, you can disconnect it and leave it. Cut it as far back as you can to get it out of the way, or leave it hooked up. I say disconnect it or leave it hooked up. My OCD wouldn't allow me to cut it unless I were to replace the wire exactly where it was. From bolt to bolt. That's me though lol
j8manski
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby j8manski » Jan 15 2015, 7:41am

My upgraded wire is my power wire, not the negative wire. Same principle though. Just do NOT hook up a wire from positive alternator bolt to the negative battery post! Haha
j8manski
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SilverSurfer » Jan 15 2015, 7:50am

Best option is to replace the negative cable with a factory OEM. Second best is to run an a/m cable to the fender (10AWG) and to the block or alternator (4AWG). The second option is actually more of a PITA and the lesser of the 2.
SilverSurfer
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 78
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3L Z85 AT 2wd Posi
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Registered users

Return to Electrical