jQuery not supported.

Instrument Cluster Trouble

Instrument Cluster Trouble

Postby SirJsmes19 [OP] » Jan 16 2020, 2:21pm

I have a 1990 c1500, 5.7L V8 with 4 speed auto, 300k miles, original engine. The truck has the original moonie gauges, without tachometer. I have ran into a weird electrical issue. The oil pressure gauge reads 30 lbs at idle, but pegs over when reved. (It is not burning oil btw). The temp gauge is erratic, sometimes it reads right, sometimes it sticks, and sometimes it pegs over or doesn’t read. Finally, the fuel gauge either reads right or 1/8 tank. The three problems sometimes occur together, or separate.

Right now, the only gauges that are predictable are the volts, speedometer, and odometer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS:
I have replaced the body to frame ground strap, and disassembled and cleaned the instrument cluster. (Added LEDs and fixed odometer while I was at it.) Fuel pump is properly grounded.

PPS:
When the gauges peg over, the check gauges light does not come on. When there is an overheat, it does come on, even if the gauge is stuck.
Original Poster
SirJsmes19
Topics: 2
Year: 1990
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Instrument Cluster Trouble

Postby Walkers » Jan 16 2020, 2:36pm

The senders are not expensive, try replacing them. If that doesn’t work then it’s the cluster.
Walkers
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 49
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SirJsmes19 [OP] » Jan 17 2020, 2:14am

Thanks @Walkers, I’ll start with the temp sensor and see what happens.

I noticed today that the oil pressure gauge remained pegged over when I shut off the engine? Are the gauges supposed to return to zero when shut off, or is this normal? Could part of my problem be sticking gauge motors?
Original Poster
SirJsmes19
Topics: 2
Year: 1990
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Nhpatriot » Jan 20 2020, 1:56pm

I'd start with the sensor first too. My temp sensor failed and caused crazy results.
If it's like my 2005 and most GM products of the era, the gauges are actually stepper motors that fail. There are services on the web that you can ship your cluster to and they replace the stepper motors but i did mine myself. I think i got 5 of the stepper motors for $20 on Amazon.
Nhpatriot
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2005
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Newly registered users
Registered users

Return to Electrical