jQuery not supported.

Intermittent Auto Down

Intermittent Auto Down

Postby overflowin [OP] » Mar 13 2018, 1:08am

The auto down feature on my driver's door is only working intermittently. I did some googling and didn't really find anything definitive. What I did find was a generic reset procedure where you roll all the way down, hold switch for 10 seconds, then roll up and hold for 10 seconds after its all the way up. I've done this a few times, and every time the auto down will work for a minute or 2, then it goes back to the same old hit and miss.

I was wondering if any of you have run across this before, and if there was a known fix. I am also curious if the auto feature is controlled by the door module (if there is in fact a door module), the switch or the BCM.

Truck is a 2012 Silverado 1500 LT2

Thanks
Donnie
Original Poster
overflowin
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Intermittent Auto Down

Postby idrivea2005sierra » Mar 13 2018, 2:32am

stop by a junk yard and pull the switch panel from a similar year truck. plug it in. if nothing else it will tell you if the switch is bad. I believe the switch is on the door module so it'll rule one way or the other. I don't believe the BCM handles the windows directly.
~Spencer
2005 Victory Red GMC Sierra, 5.3, Z71, CCSB
2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0, it's not stock
1991 Avanti Convertible, weekend cruiser and project OEM+ restoration
1961 Willys CJ5, currently undergoing chassis off OEM+ restoration
idrivea2005sierra
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 Z71 CCSB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Intermittent Auto Down

Postby rebelman06 » Mar 13 2018, 3:52am

The contacts on drivers window switch seem to get a bit of corrosion on them on my NNBS. I think water drips down when I have the windows open. I’d clean the switch contacts before doing anything else.

Pop the plastic trim insert off the upper grab handle with a screwdriver. Remove the two 10MM bolts holding the handle on. Gently pry the entire switch assembly up and unplug. Separate the entire window switch from the assembly by lifting the tabs. Repeat the same process with the two parts of the switch itself. Finally lift the rubber pad off the bottom of the switch and clean the metal contacts on the rubber pad and the circuit board with a pencil eraser. Don’t lose the plastic piece that works the auto down when you split the two parts of the window switch.

I feel like I do it once a year when a window starts acting up.
2012 Mocha Steel Silverado LT 4x4 Ext Cab 5.3L - Build Thread
rebelman06
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 4x4 Ext Cab LT 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical