jQuery not supported.

Intermittent starting issues

Intermittent starting issues

Postby luvdogs [OP] » Jun 08 2020, 4:08pm

Hey everybody, first time here I apologize if this gets a little lengthly.
2017 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 bought used only had about 16,000 when purchased over a year ago. Recently got in and turned key and got nothing, thought didn't turn far enough tried again and it fired up. Didn't think anything more of it. Happened again several days later this time wouldn't go. Hmmm, wonder if it will start remotely, yes it did. Got busy and had no time to investigate for a couple weeks so just kept remote starting with no issues. Finally the other day couldn't start either way. Had it towed to shop and guess what, never failed to start for them while they had it. Battery good, fuses and wiring all looked good, drove it home and you guessed it, very next day dead again. Everything lights up when key on acc. everything goes dark when turning key to start (run) No noise, no click, nothing.

Kind of stumped here, don't know what to do next (towing gets expensive too). Complicating the issue is I bought it from a dealer but they are like 70 miles away (my bad) The facility I brought it to has been very good to me and are quite thorough and reliable. Can't really blame them if it wouldn't duplicate while they had it.
Any ideas? Ignition switch? Starter? Could it be something as simple as a poor connection from battery to cables? I've got some free time today so I'm going to fiddle with it a little but I'm certainly not what you would call handy with cars especially these newer ones.
Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Original Poster
luvdogs
Topics: 1
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Intermittent starting issues

Postby nealinator » Jun 08 2020, 5:50pm

I would clean off the battery terminals for sure. And then you can also try cleaning the other ends...at the starter and main ground...etc. Sure would think a dealer you brought it into with that complaint would have at least done that...not matter if it was showing the issue or not.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   185,189 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby BowTieZ71 » Jun 08 2020, 7:03pm

I think I'd also take a cell phone video of you trying to start the vehicle with that condition to show the Service Advisor at the dealer.
BowTieZ71
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2018
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby luvdogs [OP] » Jun 08 2020, 8:00pm

Interestingly, just went out to try without doing anything to it and it started.
Also, dash engine light was now on and I never saw that before. The plot thickens. :)
Original Poster
luvdogs
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby badbruin44 » Jun 08 2020, 8:17pm

With the engine light on can you find any codes? Do you have a scan tool of some sort it would be a good idea to get one. They have some good cheap ones that you plug into your OBD plug and will mate to your phone lots of guys on this site have them I have a fairly good one to help me.
[gallery][/gallery]
badbruin44
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 2500 6.0L CAI Gibson
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby cheytruck2009 » Jun 08 2020, 9:42pm

Check this video out.Bad grounds are a common issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dql0Uu8-SNk
cheytruck2009
Year: 2009
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 5.3L Flex Fuel
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby luvdogs [OP] » Jun 09 2020, 3:19am

I am going to look for a code reader and/or go to Advance and have them scan it.
Original Poster
luvdogs
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Jun 09 2020, 3:35am

Certainly lots of options out there. Getting it read at the parts store is a quick way to get the info.

For basic code reading there are these bluetooth dongles that plug into the OBD2 port that are super cheap and easy. Just download an app to your phone and you are in business. I use the Torque app that is nice and has some other features I use.

I have been using this one since early 2016 and it works well. $12 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJPHEBO

I also have some nicer ones with much functions as well. Just picked up this one recently for about $100 https://www.ebay.com/itm/183959003452?ul_noapp=true it is a bit more on Amazon: $140 minus a $15 coupon https://www.amazon.com/FOXWELL-Scanner- ... B082X6Q9RS
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   185,189 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Topics: 170
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby luvdogs [OP] » Jun 09 2020, 10:03pm

Thanks for the links
Original Poster
luvdogs
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby luvdogs [OP] » Jun 30 2020, 3:35am

Hey everybody, I'm sure you've all been on pins and needles waiting to find out more about my problem. :D
Issue has been solved finally after much consternation and several hundred dollars :( Turns out it was a fairly badly corroded under hood fuse block. They found a lot of green inside that was the cause of all the issues I was having. Moisture apparently the underlying cause but not sure how.
They said it had been an issue on some older models but weren't aware of it on one that new. But I now have a completely new fuse block and have had the truck back for a week now and all is good. An extra added bonus is now my windshield washer works again after not working since winter. :lol: Thought went it went down that it was the pump and never got around to taking care of it but it was obviously caused by the corrosion in the block.
Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know that we have closure and maybe this will help someone who may experience something similar in the future.
Thanks for all your suggestions and help, good health to you all and keep your stick on the ice.
Original Poster
luvdogs
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical