jQuery not supported.

Is a Tuner worth the money???

Re: Is a Tuner worth the money???

Postby silverado ted » Feb 14 2016, 2:17pm

I recently sold my 2015 Silverado 5.3 crew cab I have a diablo intune I 1000 for sale it is a complete kit everything in the box if interested message me i'm asking $250, the truck was restored back to the gm factory tune before I sold it
2015 Silverado crew cab 5.3l air raid intake tube, fold a cover tonneau , bilstein 4600 rear shocks , gm under seat storage bin, lund 5in oval side boards, line-x spray bed liner, weather tech full floor mats
silverado ted
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2015 silverado crew
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wildchevy » Feb 14 2016, 2:27pm

My advice is look around the internet at different forums, this one is very diablolew biased and full of his fanboys. There may be better options out there, I don't have one and have never cared to research it in depth.
wildchevy
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 40
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 1960
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 05Canuck » Feb 14 2016, 2:28pm

silverado ted wrote:I recently sold my 2015 Silverado 5.3 crew cab I have a diablo intune I 1000 for sale it is a complete kit everything in the box if interested message me i'm asking $250, the truck was restored back to the gm factory tune before I sold it

to the OP...good price here although the i2000 is out now which has multiple vehicle tune capabilities(which you have to pay for) if that's what your interested in.
05Canuck
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 53
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 5.3 CCSB
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby BogginChevy » Feb 14 2016, 2:55pm

+1 on the BlackBear tune

and

+100 on a true dyno tune.. what the others are doing with their tuners are a stripped down version of a quality dyno tune...you send them the file and they tweak it..

when your at a dyno shop paying the money, you see, what their doing, you tell them what your looking for and what range of rpm etc... they do more then just 100% throttle...watching too many hot rod Youtube videos.

plus they will talk to you about your hp/tq curve show what your fuel curve is doing and what you can do. more then just fatten up the fuel. or timing...they will tell you what you need to switch, whether it be a MAF upgrade, coils, etc. ..a hand held tuner cant do that..

does a tune cost money...yup...but its not different then shelling out for that $700 package the Diablew tune
05 1500-> Project: Classified
-King Pin Dana 60, 14 BFF, Cross over steering, 18" lift, shackle flipped rear, rebuilt axles, PSC hydro-assist steering
BogginChevy
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 15
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 1982
Extra Info: Classified--LARGE
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby 05Canuck » Feb 14 2016, 3:07pm

BogginChevy wrote:+1 on the BlackBear tune

and

+100 on a true dyno tune.. what the others are doing with their tuners are a stripped down version of a quality dyno tune...you send them the file and they tweak it..

when your at a dyno shop paying the money, you see, what their doing, you tell them what your looking for and what range of rpm etc... they do more then just 100% throttle...watching too many hot rod Youtube videos.

plus they will talk to you about your hp/tq curve show what your fuel curve is doing and what you can do. more then just fatten up the fuel. or timing...they will tell you what you need to switch, whether it be a MAF upgrade, coils, etc. ..a hand held tuner cant do that..

does a tune cost money...yup...but its not different then shelling out for that $700 package the Diablew tune

700 ? I don't have that wrapped up in mine. Half of that maybe...
Question tho...does the dyno shop take the tune back out free of charge for you when you want to take it back to the dealer?
05Canuck
Staff Member
Staff Member
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby 05Canuck » Feb 14 2016, 3:10pm

Glenn not being a smart ass...as I have a shop that's within an hour of me that does them..
05Canuck
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby BogginChevy » Feb 14 2016, 3:14pm

ive run a dyno for years, done diagnostics at any speeds, done drive cycles, run emissions , and hp/tq runs....they are not just one speed..

you can have your previous program saved if you want to return it to stock.. Have you looked at the trinity? its $600 + any extra programming/ tuning..
05 1500-> Project: Classified
-King Pin Dana 60, 14 BFF, Cross over steering, 18" lift, shackle flipped rear, rebuilt axles, PSC hydro-assist steering
BogginChevy
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Topics: 15
Year: 1982
Extra Info: Classified--LARGE
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby funnytoe » Feb 14 2016, 3:40pm

jadkins54 wrote:Mainly for the performance upgrade, also have my abs code id like to clear. CTS says up to 17HP and 20TQ gain overall but a real dyno tune would be better id say but I highly doubt any garage in my area has or will dyno tune.

i will be completely honest on my programmer. did i feel it turned my clumsy slow truck into a tire shredding beast that can now race corvettes shelbys, porches just by plug in it in . NO

its better than doing an exhaust and intake upgrade.

would i buy a programmer again for my next truck ? YES

what it does it makes the trucks shift point better especially when you changed the original tire size. can recalibrate your speedometer does make my truck feel a lot more powerful . but not cause of its magical programing.lol the transmission shifting at a better rpm take care of that.overall my truck is more enjoyable to drive

yes my programmer has several options to display and monitor several different things . example intake air temp,engine block temp , 1/4 mile times, too much stuff to list.

yes it also does read and display all engine trouble codes. ENGINE ONLY will not do anything related to ABS system. thats what i have been told. i myself have never had to run a diagnostic on my truck so far . regardless of what programmer you buy if you decide to buy one call the manufacture and ask if it reads trouble codes related to ABS system
funnytoe
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 29
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Feb 14 2016, 3:56pm

All depends on what you want out of it. For the 7.5+ truck, yes i think its worth the money to turn off AFM and reduce the torque management. As far as tuners, i have had both the diablo and superchips, both are good products.
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 96
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Rotorhead » Feb 14 2016, 4:51pm

If you find a good tune shop that can tune your truck to perform its best as a daily driver, then I agree a Dyno tune is going to get the most out of it.
That being said, I have ran a Bully Dog tuner and a Diablosport Intune and both were good tuners. I currently have a Diablosport Trinity because I prefer having the gauges and I like the options it has over the Bully Dog.
A dyno tune for my truck was going to cost me $450 between the dyno time, HP Tuner software credit for my VIN and the labor. With the exception of setting my truck back to stock, any changes I made after that initial tune was going to cost extra. Regear...extra, bigger tires...extra, etc. I know some shops aren't like that but the one near me charges for changes and honestly I don't blame them.
Your original question was were tuners worth the money. That all depends on what getting an extra 15 to 20-ish HP and TQ is worth to you. And don't forget these tuners also adjust the transmission for better shifting so its more than just the increase in power. Options to adjust the settings for gear swaps, bigger tires and having a code reader included are also something to think about. And all this can be done in your driveway for no extra cost. So my opinion is yes they are, but it's your money and your truck, so ultimately my opinion is just exactly than....an opinion. Asking about tuners on here is almost like asking about mufflers...a 1000 different suggestions and the occasional mud slinging. (guilty myself)
And as far as it costing $700 for a Diablosport Trinity and a custom tune from Lew, if you specifically want a Trinity and you buy if from Lew along with his tuning charge then yes it may cost that but you can buy a used i1000 Intune and still get Lew's customs tune for less than $400. And the Trinity can be found used for under $400. The only difference between the intune and trinity are real time monitoring capabilities anyway, the tuning options are the same.
Bully Dog has the ability to have custom tunes thru SCT so that is another option.
Did too much to remember and spent too much to admit to
Rotorhead
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 18
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 4.8 2WD ECSB DiabLew
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Servicemen
PreviousNext

Return to Electrical