jQuery not supported.

Looking For Location Of Keyless Entry Antenna & Module

Looking For Location Of Keyless Entry Antenna & Module

Postby PGB1 [OP] » Aug 11 2019, 3:38pm

Hi All!
I have a 2000 Sierra with remote controls to unlock the doors. It does not have remote start. All that the fobs do is lock, unlock the doors and there is an alarm button.

What I am seeking is the location of the antenna and the controlling module for the remote control door lock-unlock system. The hope is that I find a corroded or loose connection. (Too easy, but I can always hope...)

The History:
Suddenly none of the 3 fobs work.
I tried to reprogram them, as I've done when replacing the remotes, but the truck won't enter programming mode.
All the other electrical accessories, including the door lock-unlock buttons, work.
I checked every fuse in the truck and bench tested any relays that I thought might be involved. (The circuit breaker, fuse & relay maps are mute on which is for the keyless.)
Next, I read every post I could find on line about the problem. I came up empty with ideas that solved the problem.

Do you all know where these components are located? Or, even better, do you have any hints for what I have missed & can check next?

Thanks Very Much for helping! Your guidance is much appreciated.
Enjoy Today!
Paul
Original Poster
PGB1
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 3 Door 6 Liter XLT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Looking For Location Of Keyless Entry Antenna & Module

Postby thorze » Aug 11 2019, 7:26pm

Well.. I have an 04 Sierra 1500 that did not come with the remote locks. I found out that the passenger side door function switch had all of the components, and that you just needed to change it out and program fobs.
Bought a used one on eBay, changed it out with on the pass.side door and then programmed the aftermarket fobs. Has worked great for 2 years now.
If I remember correctly, there was no additional antennas and it was all contained there, except for a relay as well.
HTH good luck!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
thorze
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 SL 4.8L 4X4 82K
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby PGB1 [OP] » Aug 11 2019, 9:58pm

Thank You Thorrze for taking time to post this helpful information.

Is the door function switch is the one with the manual buttons that the passenger presses or the electrical part that pushes the lock rod back & forth?

I'll take the door panel off & take a look.
I will be sure to post what I find out, hopefully to report the successful repair/replacement.

Thanks Again and Enjoy This Day!
Paul
Original Poster
PGB1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby thorze » Aug 12 2019, 12:47am

It is one piece and is in the armrest and has window and door lock functions, however the slide lock button is separate and is above mounted to the panel.

One you take it apart you'll see how it works.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
thorze
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 1500 SL 4.8L 4X4 82K
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby PGB1 [OP] » Aug 12 2019, 2:01pm

Thank You Thorze!
Hopefully time and weather will permit me to take it apart today. I love tearing things apart for study. (Especially when it doesn't matter if I have parts left over when I re-assemble.)

It sure seems like a creative place to put the module & antenna. I often marvel at where components are located. The relay for a snow plow roof light on my 3-door is inside the driver's side B pillar. Wonder where it is on 4-door models when there isn't a B pillar.

Thanks Again for helping Thorze. I sure appreciate the time you took to reply and explain. I would have never, in a million years, found this on my own. I'll be sure to post back what my (happy) results were.
Be Sure To Enjoy This Day!
Paul
Original Poster
PGB1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby PGB1 [OP] » Aug 14 2019, 8:35pm

Your advice worked great Thorze.

I took the module off to examine it for loose connectors or another visible problem. I didn't see anything our of the ordinary, so I put it back in, witht he intention of finding a used one.

For fun I pushed a button on the fob.
Now all 3 fobs work again. I suppose something was loose & got knocked back into place. (Just a guess)
After several miles and many Michigan Magic Pot Hole Bumps, it still works.

Thanks to your advice, when the module fails forever, I'll know what part to purchase. (And that the repair will be a 5 minute one- My favorite kind.)

Enjoy Today!
Paul
Original Poster
PGB1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Zrock » Aug 15 2019, 3:22pm

if its a aftermarket system check the hood pin switch. They get corroded and then the unit thinks the hood is open and will disable the unit.. I found this out the hard way when i purchased new fobs for my unit and could not program
Zrock
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 59
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby PGB1 [OP] » Aug 16 2019, 12:18am

Thanks Zrock for sharing the tip!

Coincidentally, my truck has an aftermarket remote start, but on a separate key fob.
When I first bought the (used) truck, I was laying under it with the hood up and the keys in my pocket. I must have bumped the Start button because the engine started. Boy did that startle me!

No hood pin switch was the first of many "lazy guy" cheats that I have since found on this truck. (Paperclip fuses is another example.)
Original Poster
PGB1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical