jQuery not supported.

Speedo / Odo issue

Speedo / Odo issue

Postby Danbot [OP] » Sep 16 2020, 8:53pm

Hey everyone.

I'm struggling with an issue on my 2004 Sierra 2500 SLT, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Currently I have a brand new and tested cluster installed, but I get no speedo reading, or accumulation on the odo. But... my Bullydog tuner reads speed fine plugged into the OBD2.
This leads me to beleive that its a wiring, or PCM issue. Grounds are good @ the cluster, and everything else works fine on the cluster.

To check for broken wire, I am looking for a pinout for the PCM... or any words of wisdom. Tired of using my Bullydog for speedometer!
Original Poster
Danbot
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Speedo / Odo issue

Postby roorancher » Sep 16 2020, 11:06pm

Are you sure it's the correct part number cluster for the truck? Was your unit repaired, or did you do an exchange?

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

105,200 miles 9/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Danbot [OP] » Sep 16 2020, 11:16pm

roorancher wrote:Are you sure it's the correct part number cluster for the truck? Was your unit repaired, or did you do an exchange?
It was just built for me, he sells them without exchange set up as you like.
He used the vin and my description to assure it was correct.
The cluster I just removed had the same issue (no speedo, plus some other stuff) and I was willing to assume the cluster was to blame, but now I'm not so sure.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Original Poster
Danbot
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Danbot [OP] » Sep 18 2020, 11:09pm

Just had a thought.... My steering wheel control interface box for my pioneer stereo is broken. As I was looking over the instructions for it, I see that there is a vehicle speed output wire on it that ties into the truck harness. Perhaps this is holding out signal getting to my cluster?
I'll replace the swc box and see what happens
Original Poster
Danbot
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Danbot [OP] » Sep 20 2020, 11:39pm

Ok... I solved the problem, but not without some struggle.

-I replaced my steering wheel interface module for my aftermarket head unit. That fixed some other things but no effect on the speedo issue.
-I un-installed my Bullydog tune in case there was something going on there, no change.
-Eventually I found wiring diagrams and pin-outs for what I needed to check:

The green/white wire for speedo signal at the cluster connector (#A4 pin) had no continuity with the output from the PCM (#50 pin on green connector) so I ran my own wire and soldered it in. Success! Obviously there is a break somewhere in the original wire.

Hopefully this might be relevant info for someone some day?
Original Poster
Danbot
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical