jQuery not supported.

Strange issue with dead battery '06 silverado

battery dead but parking lights were on.

Strange issue with dead battery '06 silverado

Postby Vtfnatc [OP] » Aug 05 2013, 4:12am

So the battery in my 2006 Silverado went dead. So i left it alone for a few hours. When I went back to it, the parking lights were on. it was so dead it wouldn't turn over. I jump started the truck and it started just fine. I had good readings on the voltmeter, and it was running fine. Turned it off, and it restarted fine. I turned off the lights and turned them back on. all seemed good. went out today, and it's dead again. tonight, I look out there and the parking lights are on again.
how can the parking lights be on if it's so dead the door locks don't work?

has anyone heard of this kind of issue before?

Matt
Original Poster
Vtfnatc
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2006
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Strange issue with dead battery '06 silverado

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Aug 05 2013, 8:08am

Something is so wrong about the way you are explaining this or your truck is playing tricks on you. Either way, turn off the parking lights. Just because they are called parking lights, that doesn't mean they should be used in such a way.
Tracy likes to be man-handled
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 304
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...usually in the form of a tornado.
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Sounds fast
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Aug 05 2013, 8:13am

Check your battery cables to make sure they do not have corrosion on them (check both ends as well as the length of them).
Jordan
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby dad2bandm » Aug 08 2013, 5:14pm

Is there any update on this issue? Did you replace your dead battery?
I was also confused by the original posting.

When it's something like this issue, you make sure the battery has good connections, and good ground, and make sure your battery is sufficiently charged. Did you charge it? Did it hold a proper charge afterwards? Jump-starting a battery does not charge it, and does nothing for the state of the battery.

A dead battery can have enough charge left to light some bulbs, but not enough charge to run motors or actuators, which is what your door locks would need to move.
dad2bandm
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3L V8 4x4 SLT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical