jQuery not supported.

Tapping into cargo light power!

Tapping into cargo light power!

Postby ChevySilverado2007 [OP] » Jan 24 2014, 4:25am

I have two cube LED pods with just a positive/negative wire coming off each of them, and Id like to be able to wire them up to come on when I hit my switch for my cargo lights!

Has anybody done this, or know how! Thank you!

They will be going on my back rack
Original Poster
ChevySilverado2007
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Silverado Classic
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Tapping into cargo light power!

Postby djlove » Jan 24 2014, 4:53am

You could sneak a wire up over the headliner and out the CHMSL then use a relay to throw power to the lights. I am not sure if there is a better way to get power to the backrack except to sneak a wire out from the roof.
djlove
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby bowtieguy12 » Apr 06 2014, 11:47pm

Did you get this to work? This is exactly what I want to do but can't figure out how to get the wire from cargo light to bed.

There is a vent behind rear seat back but I don't know how to get to it. Can anyone help?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
bowtieguy12
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Welcher774 » Apr 07 2014, 12:54am

My suggestion is to go to the dash, look on back of switch (cargo) test what wire goes to 12 volts when cargo is on, them follow wire down in the door sill area splice a wire and run it to the back. Make sense?
Welcher774
Topics: 62
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 crewcab 5.3 2wd
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby bowtieguy12 » Apr 07 2014, 5:16pm

Thanks for the reply. My fault, I didn't specify that I am trying to do this for under rail bed lights so I would need to route the wire into the bed. It seems easier to tap into cargo light at the light, not the switch. The OP said back rack, so I ASSumed he would run the wires into the bed and then to the rack.

Somewhere I read a post about tapping into the cargo light and routing the wire above headliner down behind rear seat and out through a vent behind the seat. I can't figure out how to get to that vent though. I tried lifting up on it but it doesn't budge.

2012 Silverado 1500
bowtieguy12
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby djlove » Apr 07 2014, 5:43pm

Are you sure you want your underrail bed light switch in the cab?

I did that and then it was annoying so i just put a manual switch in the bed and used the trailer 12v as the power source.
djlove
Topics: 24
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby bowtieguy12 » Apr 07 2014, 6:04pm

Not sure at all... Sounded like a good idea at the time. Cleaner looking I guess. Also, i would be less likely to accidentally a leave the lights on if it was controlled from cargo light switch. Do you have pics or a how to of which wires to tap and how you installed the switch in the bed?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
bowtieguy12
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby barroncmbarroncm is online! » Feb 23 2021, 6:14am

Im not sure about the new body style, but my 99 and my 04 I had to goto the cargo light its self becouse after some research I learned that the cargo light is controled by the BCM.
barroncmbarroncm is online!
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Year: 2004
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 2500 HD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Electrical