jQuery not supported.

TPMS service system warning

TPMS service system warning

Postby brokespoke1959 [OP] » Feb 27 2021, 3:19am

I have a new body style 2007 Sierra. While driving the other day the service monitor system warning came on. I did have 1 tire that was low. I aired it up and the warning didn't go away. I tried numerous times the lock/unlock routine on the remote and got the 2 horn beeps initially. When deflating I couldn't get a horn beep on any tire. Took it to a tire store and they said they couldn't get a reading on any tire with their tool. They said probably all 4 sensors were dead. It just seems odd that all 4 would go bad at once. Is there a fuse or relay that controls the system?
Original Poster
brokespoke1959
Topics: 1
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: crew cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: TPMS service system warning

Postby BobInOK » Feb 27 2021, 7:39am

Kinda had that happen on my 2010 sept it was within a few days. After the 2nd one failed I went ahead and had all of the sensors replaced. So far no more problems.
BobInOK
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Reg Cab 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby brokespoke1959 [OP] » Feb 27 2021, 3:51pm

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.
Original Poster
brokespoke1959
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: crew cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jake2250 » Feb 27 2021, 6:12pm

Happened on the wifes car. Took it in and had four new tires put on, got it home and the warning light was on. Took it back and they told me the TPMS batteries only last 8-10 years. her car is an '08.
Quoted me $200 to replace all four.
Kinda suspicious of them, they just worked on it now they want another $200.
Took it to a different store, $180 for all four and the guy tells me that if one goes bad (dead battery) you cannot (tpms system) reprogram the rest of them.
He tested the four he took out, two had dead or low batteries and the others were ok but old!

What really ticked me off about the first store was,, They charged me $4 a wheel to "Rebuild the TPMS"!
I asked for my rebuild money back,, said no way, its for a new rubber gasket! $16 for 4 little O rings! Another reason I never went back there!
When asked about the TPMS rebuild I was told the Sensors are sealed and you cannot change the batteries but you should change the gasket/O rings to prevent leaks!
So yeah this whole TPMS crap is a scam!
I am looking into buying the manual tire machine from Harbor Freight, just to break the tire bead so I can change the TPMS out my self!
jake2250
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 6.0 2500 HD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby FoxProDenali » Feb 27 2021, 6:41pm

Buy a $15 relearn tool and keep relearning the bad sensor to verify if the battery is dead or not.

I have one that goes in and out all time. It's probably moisture inside the sensor that has corroded the connection a tiny bit since it always goes off when the tires reach highway heat and pressure.
2007 Sierra Denali 1500
Kooks|Corsa|Amp Research|DiabLew Tune|Vitesse
Build Thread: FoxProDenali's 2007 Sierra - Build, Show, Tell
FoxProDenali
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 32
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Variant: Denali
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 78z1joe » Mar 25 2021, 5:54pm

Hi So if the batteries go dead, which they will, does the whole sensor need to be replaced? Rock auto has the AC/Delco Gold for $ 34.00 each. OEM at $ 50.

is it possible to just eliminate the system? Or does the Truck " know" that it lost communication with the tires?

Of course as we all are too busy to check our air pressure on a regular basis, the system is helpful when travelling and when we get the nail.

With my wife's Acadia and daughter's Hyundai, when I rotate the tires, I don't care if the left front is now on the left rear. I just check the pressures monthly with my tire pressure gauge, like on my '06 1500 , no TPMS, as I've done for 45 years.

Should we star a flame on how the government is in with the manufacturers to squeeze more dollars out of our pockets in the name of " safety" How about " emissions "and "gas mileage" too!.
78z1joe
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2006
Variant: WT
Extra Info: 1500 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jake2250 » Mar 25 2021, 7:11pm

Batteries are NOT serviceable and you must replace the sensor!
Yep and most tire places will charge a "Mount Dismount charge plus the sensor! The original store I went to and bought the tires will not install sensors that I buy, you gotta buy the ones they have!
The other store will install the ones I buy but will say on the receipt "No warranty" on the None Serviceable sensors!
Yeah I survived many years of driving With OUT TPMS but now I gotta shell out good cash for something the government requires!
jake2250
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 18
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 6.0 2500 HD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby esox07 » Mar 25 2021, 7:17pm

I think you can get ACDelco off amazon cheaper.
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 293
Year: 2013
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to Electrical