jQuery not supported.

Wiring the running lights on my tow mirrors

Re: Wiring the running lights on my tow mirrors

Postby username48 » Oct 15 2017, 3:01am

Hmm ok so it won't be the same. But when I did it I found out which wires under the dash were for the signal lights with a test light. Turn on signal and probe wires until you find the one that flashes with the signal. Do that for both signals and you know which wires to tap into.

For my truck I know that one of the wiring harnesses for the window/lock controls in the door had a brown wire that only has power when headlights are on. So that would be the wire to tap in to for running lights. Might be something similar in your truck. Test light is worth using to figure out out.
username48
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2001
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 SLE
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby greyfox1981 [OP] » Oct 16 2017, 5:18am

I know what wires I need for the turn signals and for the reverse lights, I just couldn't figure out what wire to tap for the running lights. I originally planned on stripping back a little bit of each wire that I needed but then I read about using the t-taps. I was ready to connect to the wires but stopped because I found out about the add a circuit things so now I plan to use them.
2014 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71
Original Poster
greyfox1981
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT Z71 dbl. cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby greyfox1981 [OP] » Oct 17 2017, 9:27pm

There's nothing marked for cab marker lights on either side of the dash... Unless it's marked as something weird. I'll just have to tap into the parking light fuse. I looked in the owners manual as well just to double check.

The photo that's kinda blue is the fuse panel cover from the passenger side.ImageImage
Original Poster
greyfox1981
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby greyfox1981 [OP] » Nov 16 2017, 5:32am

I was working on the mirrors last week and earlier today but I still don't have them hooked up. I haven't had a lot of time. We have a 5 month old daughter and I'm spending a lot of time with her. I only get maybe 20 minutes or an hour here and there to work on the truck. The truck has been put on the back burner... Just not in my mind! Anyway. Here's my dilemma...

Last week I wrapped a wire around the fuses under the hood for the reverse lights, parking lamps and the trailer turn signal/stop lamps and hooked tjem up to the wires for the mirrors. Everything looked good until I pressed the brake pedal. The turn signal in the glass would turn on and stay on (not blink) until I released the pedal.

Earlier today I used the t-taps and connected just the left turn signal wire onto the blue/yellow wire in the brown ecm plug under the dash and had the same problem with the turn signal turning on when I pressed the brake pedal. I tried tapping onto the blue/white wire but that caused the turn signal in the glass to come on as soon as I tapped onto the wire.

I'm wondering if maybe it's a ground wire issue?? It's weird that the brake pedal would cause the turn signal to illuminate.

I bought the mirrors off of Syppo.com. The wires that need to be hooked up (turn, clearance and reverse) aren't connected to a plug, they're just loose wires. I know I didn't mix any of the wires up when connecting them.

One other thing to ask.. When I connected the backup lamp wire for the mirror to the reverse light wire in the BCM, the lights only came on when I put the truck in reverse. What wire would I need to tap in to for them to come on when I put the truck in reverse and when I unlock the doors. I was assuming it was the same wire but I guess not. Maybe that's a courtesy lamp function/wire?

This is the video I used for wiring my mirrors... https://youtu.be/d-3C6IDu2nE
Original Poster
greyfox1981
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby diy_darryl » Nov 17 2017, 9:14pm

The running light (CAB MARKER) circuit is in the top plug in the right side end panel. The top plug is likely not even there (unused) but the cab marker wire is one of the upper left wires in the unused plug receptacle. I just spliced into the wire from the back side. I don't remember the wire color but trust me, it's there in ALL trucks.
diy_darryl
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 21
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby greyfox1981 [OP] » Dec 22 2017, 4:47am

Just an update... I rewired my tow mirrors using the Boost Auto Parts dual function harness kit, followed their videos and even talked with them on the phone for 5 mins and my mirrors are working great.

I used the add a fuse for the running lights and for the reverse lights as well. My problem with the turn signals lighting up when I pressed the brake pedal was caused by being on the wrong wires under the dash at the BCM. I was on a skinny blue wire with a yellow stripe, but I needed to be on the thick blue wire with a white stripe for the left turn signal.

I had a problem with the front amber running lights not working as turn signals, so I had to talk to boost auto parts on the phone and they had me straightened out in less than 5 minutes. My lights were set up as running lights by default, not turn signals like some of the other manufacturers have them set up. I just had to connect the factory running light wires to the turn signals and it fixed my problem.
Original Poster
greyfox1981
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby HTTTRH » Jul 27 2019, 4:41am

Grey fox.... do you happen to know which wire or where I can tap into the running lights for my cab lights I’m installing. Maybe a pic? Thanks

I’ve installed my boost mirrors as well. Great upgrade.

Any help is appreciated

greyfox1981 wrote:I was working on the mirrors last week and earlier today but I still don't have them hooked up. I haven't had a lot of time. We have a 5 month old daughter and I'm spending a lot of time with her. I only get maybe 20 minutes or an hour here and there to work on the truck. The truck has been put on the back burner... Just not in my mind! Anyway. Here's my dilemma...

Last week I wrapped a wire around the fuses under the hood for the reverse lights, parking lamps and the trailer turn signal/stop lamps and hooked tjem up to the wires for the mirrors. Everything looked good until I pressed the brake pedal. The turn signal in the glass would turn on and stay on (not blink) until I released the pedal.

Earlier today I used the t-taps and connected just the left turn signal wire onto the blue/yellow wire in the brown ecm plug under the dash and had the same problem with the turn signal turning on when I pressed the brake pedal. I tried tapping onto the blue/white wire but that caused the turn signal in the glass to come on as soon as I tapped onto the wire.

I'm wondering if maybe it's a ground wire issue?? It's weird that the brake pedal would cause the turn signal to illuminate.

I bought the mirrors off of Syppo.com. The wires that need to be hooked up (turn, clearance and reverse) aren't connected to a plug, they're just loose wires. I know I didn't mix any of the wires up when connecting them.

One other thing to ask.. When I connected the backup lamp wire for the mirror to the reverse light wire in the BCM, the lights only came on when I put the truck in reverse. What wire would I need to tap in to for them to come on when I put the truck in reverse and when I unlock the doors. I was assuming it was the same wire but I guess not. Maybe that's a courtesy lamp function/wire?

This is the video I used for wiring my mirrors... https://youtu.be/d-3C6IDu2nE
33" Nitto Ridge's, MM 970 Wheels, Borla Touring, NFAB steps, Range Industries, Katskinz Leather, Tint, RF Speakers w/ Alpine KTP, Norcal Mod, Tow Mirrors, Cab Lights, Deep B&M trans pan, Lubelockers, Antenna, Low Pro Ventguards, Painted Shark Fin, ReadlyLift UCA's and Level Kit
HTTTRH
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 19
Year: 2017
Extra Info: 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Jul 27 2019, 5:15pm

I'm convinced Boost Auto Parts has some of the best customer service around. You can get them on Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays if you use FB or Messenger.
I've made a request to them and I'm waiting to see if it's do-able....I want to add and old-fashioned foot switch for my hi-beams. They told me they would look into it.

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

80,000 miles as of 10/1/19

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6 & Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source

Diablew Tune

Security by Rock Island Armory
roorancher
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 53
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby HTTTRH » Jul 27 2019, 6:06pm

roorancher wrote:I'm convinced Boost Auto Parts has some of the best customer service around. You can get them on Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays if you use FB or Messenger.
I've made a request to them and I'm waiting to see if it's do-able....I want to add and old-fashioned foot switch for my hi-beams. They told me they would look into it.

I’d love a foot activated high beam switch. I miss those things!!!

Totally agree. This was my review on their fb page

IRT my tow mirror install

BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE IVE EVER HAD!!! Boost is AWESOME!!!

Installed at work yesterday (Saturday) I needed some clarification on one of the steps with wire harness - thought I would not get anyone on the weekend..... messaged Boost on FB and got a response within minutes, followed by a phone call and got my answer. Install went flawlessly after. This level of customer service was a first for me and I was totally blown away!

Thanks Boost!!!!
33" Nitto Ridge's, MM 970 Wheels, Borla Touring, NFAB steps, Range Industries, Katskinz Leather, Tint, RF Speakers w/ Alpine KTP, Norcal Mod, Tow Mirrors, Cab Lights, Deep B&M trans pan, Lubelockers, Antenna, Low Pro Ventguards, Painted Shark Fin, ReadlyLift UCA's and Level Kit
HTTTRH
Topics: 19
Year: 2017
Extra Info: 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby greyfox1981 [OP] » Aug 08 2019, 2:32am

Sorry I missed your message. I work weekends and by the time I get home and spend time with the kids and wife, it's bedtime shortly after so I barely get to do much on my phone.

It sounds like you already got your questions answered by the guys at boost auto parts. I really like their customer service too. I only had to call them once, but they had my problem solved within 5 minutes.
Original Poster
greyfox1981
Group Membership: