jQuery not supported.

5.3 Liter dropping cylinder for the 3rd time

engine dropped cylinder after GM paid dealer to rebuild top end of engine

5.3 Liter dropping cylinder for the 3rd time

Postby Savannahdad79 [OP] » Jan 16 2020, 1:31am

Need some advice folks..........I have a 2009 chevy silverado with 126,430 miles on it. To start from the beginning, I bought the truck used with 6,255 miles on it from a local dealer. The first issue happened at 38,965, dropped a clyinder, oil was dumped into one of the cylinders and causing the plug to foul. I took it to the dealer that i bought it from, and they "fixed" it under warranty, they said they put a new valve cover on that specific side and a new oil pan with a baffle. The second time happened 51,519 miles later and almost a year to the date, this time it was two cylinders fouling out, the truck would barely run. They installed a new top end and paid for a rental car for 4 days, all covered by GM. Now the third time at 126,430 miles and a little over 6 years later, this time it is tapping really loud and fouling out the #6 cylinder. I was on my way home from work, a accelerated moderately, not really hard but hard enough to jump into overdrive to pass someone, and that is when it happened. I pulled over and popped the hood to see what the tapping was coming from, thought it might be something loose. Couldn't see anything so I went to Auto Zone and had them pull the engine trouble code, it said P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire detected, it threw that code 3 times and P0521 one time which is for the oil pressure sensor. I just put a new sensor in it about 2 weeks ago. I'm afraid to drive it to the mechanic just to help me diagnose the problem which means i need to arrange a tow truck. I suspect a bad valve spring to be the culprit which is what is causing the tapping. I highly doubt the dealer or GM will help in any way.

What do ya'll think?
Original Poster
Savannahdad79
Topics: 1
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 5.3 Liter dropping cylinder for the 3rd time

Postby Pak713 » Jan 16 2020, 2:03am

Lifter failure on cylinder 6 is my guess. Pulling the valve cover and turning it over should confirm this. There are literally thousands of videos on YouTube about this and threads all over the web. Go to YouTube and look up crazed performance. This guy specializes in afm failure and delete. He has tons videos with very good information. Also if you didn’t install an ac delco oil pressure sensor replace it with an ac delco sensor. The aftermarket non ac delco sensors are known for issues. I have experienced this myself.
1.5” Motofab leveling kit
1.25” RC body lift
275/70/18 Falken Wildpeak AT3
Diablew Tune
Pak713
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 105
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: LT 5.3 Flex fuel Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Jan 16 2020, 2:05am

After the first failure I would have done a full afm delete. Do it this time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 98
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Pak713 » Jan 16 2020, 2:15am

^^^Agreed
1.5” Motofab leveling kit
1.25” RC body lift
275/70/18 Falken Wildpeak AT3
Diablew Tune
Pak713
Topics: 105
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: LT 5.3 Flex fuel Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Jan 16 2020, 5:28pm

Sounds too close to my truck.. bought it 7k miles and now has 120k something. luckily i havent had the issues you have. You have had that 4cyl deactivation running this entire time?
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 48
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3l 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Savannahdad79 [OP] » Jan 16 2020, 8:51pm

Bradley, not sure, the dealer didn't speculate one way or the other, the instrument cluster shows it running on 4 then 8 whenever it switches on or off, now whether or not it really does is anyone's guess. I cranked it this afternoon to move it for the two truck, the loud tapping noise was gone and it ran on all 8, but it was also cold and sat overnight, i tried to be careful and didn't drive it into work to avoid damaging the engine further. I will hopefully hear something tomorrow as to what the issue is.
Original Poster
Savannahdad79
Topics: 1
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Jan 16 2020, 9:05pm

well like others said this go around if you plan on keeping the truck for a while i would do the full AFM delete. It will run in 8 cyl mode only and save you from these issues in the future. Assuming the issue all along has been the sorry system designed to run in 4cly mode when 8 wasnt needed.
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 48
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3l 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Engine