jQuery not supported.

Idling issue after starting 2nd time or warm

Idling issue after starting 2nd time or warm

Postby docholiday17 [OP] » Feb 06 2021, 9:43pm

I've a 2000 Silverado 5.3L.

To expand on the title, my truck starts fine and like normal on a cold start. I've noticed that, pretty consistently, if I drive the truck around for a bit, and go to start it back up again when it's warm, the RPMs are very low, and it hardly seems like it wants to idle. A quick tap on the throttle gets it back up to normal idle operation and doesn't give issues at all after that. It's not the biggest issue now, but I'm worried that it may leave me not able to start the truck one of these days.

It's got just about 100k miles on it.

I've taken the TB off and cleaned it thoroughly, as well as the IAC valve. No check engine light or other running issues.
Original Poster
docholiday17
Topics: 2
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Idling issue after starting 2nd time or warm

Postby chem_man » Feb 07 2021, 4:27am

Check your fuel pressure regulator - it might have a ruptured diaphragm.
chem_man
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LS
Extra Info: Ext Cab 5.3L V8 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Idling issue after starting 2nd time or warm

Postby Edwoooo » Mar 03 2021, 4:06am

My truck is doing this as well. It starts fine, idles smooth then after driving for a while it does to 500. If I start it back up again it can drop too 300 at idle. Say doc, what have you found out so far? I've cleaned my TB but it did nothing. Please let me know. Even my mechanic is guessing at this point. I'm new here, I may not find this thread again. If you find out, please send me a message and I will do the same. I will add you as a friend so I can reach you as soon as I find a solution.
Edwoooo
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Year: 2005
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 5.3L LM7 4X4 VIN T
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Engine