jQuery not supported.

truck keeps running after ignition is turned off

truck keeps running after ignition is turned off

Postby Lozerklown [OP] » Nov 11 2015, 1:34pm

I have a gmc 3500HD that continues to run for a minute or so after the key has been turned off and pulled out. I truck has recently had the bcm and tcm replaced and it didn't start doing it until after they replaced the tcm. I took it to a dealer and they said it was doing it because there was back feed from the aftermarket siliniods but I have everything aftermarket disconnected and it continues to run after the key is out. everything else shuts down like it is supposed to do but the engine continue to run. any ideas on what it could be and how I could test it to make sure that that is the problem?
Original Poster
Lozerklown
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 3500HD duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: truck keeps running after ignition is turned off

Postby kert » Nov 11 2015, 1:53pm

I had this problem and it turned out that my connection for my heated seats was shorting between ign and acc, so the truck would continue to run until the door was opened or the delay timed out.
kert
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Lozerklown [OP] » Nov 11 2015, 1:57pm

I've tried opening the door when it was still running but that didn't shut off. it continues to run for about a minute after no matter what I do.
Original Poster
Lozerklown
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dav2no1 » Nov 11 2015, 4:58pm

Dealer needs to figure it out. Especially if they did some work and now it has issues.
2012 SILVERADO LTZ 5.3L -4x4 -6 Speed -Bilstein- K&N -Borla- Line.X -GM Steps -LEDs-Diablew Tuned
1964 C-10 383 Stroker -12 Bolt Posi -Custom Holley 650 -Hurst Shifter -Stan's Headers -2 1/2" duals w/H pipe-40 series Flowmasters
dav2no1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 30
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 5.3L LTZ 4X4 6 speed
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby esox07 » Nov 11 2015, 5:05pm

Certainly sounds like one of the computers is malfunctioning which incidentally is what they replaced. Not sure which one, but between the BCM and TCM, it seems the BCM would be the logical culprit.

Maybe state why you had it in the shop in the first place and why they changed out the BCM and TCM. Also, what aftermarket "solenoids" do you have installed?
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 286
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2013
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby 07nnbs4x4 » Nov 11 2015, 5:10pm

Did you buy the truck new? Does it have a Turbo Timer? If no timer it sounds like a electrical issue where something is shorting out.
2007 ECSB NNBS LTZ 4x4
LMG 5.3
Built 4L70E
BTR 212/218 .553/.553 113+2LSA (PAC 1218's, Ti-17 Retainers, Machined Locks)
CHE Bronze Trunnions
ARH 1-3/4"x3", catted Y-Pipe, Corsa Sport 3"
Airaid Jr
BlackBear 91-Tune
Rancho Lift
4.56's and 34's
364-Hp/348 lb-ft of tq at rear wheels
07nnbs4x4
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 75
Year: 2007
Extra Info: NNBS ECSB LTZ 5.3 4X
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby kert » Nov 12 2015, 12:56am

I like the turbo timer idea if it's a diesel. The other thought I had is a short to the delayed headlamp circuit. I really can't imagine that the BCM/TCM that would cause a delayed shutdown.
kert
Topics: 3
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby monkey » Nov 12 2015, 1:38am

Turbo timer I take it is to let the turbo cool a bit before shut down ? Do all Duramax's have that ?
monkey
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax 4x4 LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Lozerklown [OP] » Nov 12 2015, 2:15am

the truck when in originally because the transmission was acting up and the abs light and the brake like we're on. they found the tcm was shorted internally and replaced it. after that it started with the engine running with the key off and out. they checked it and said the tcm was shorted internally and replaced that one. solved the problem for about a week and then it started doing it again. took it back up there and they said my aftermarket siliniods were back feeding and was causing the issue but none of my stuff was hooked to anything that could cause it bit they unhooked everything and said it was fixed but the problem wasn't fixed. I have everything aftermarket unhooked and the problem is still there. it will run from 10 seconds to a whole minute after the key is off and out. I've tried everything I have read to test and see what's wrong with it and nothing works.
Original Poster
Lozerklown
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Lozerklown [OP] » Nov 12 2015, 2:17am

also the truck is an 08 and only has 3662 miles on it.
Original Poster
Lozerklown
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Engine