jQuery not supported.

07-13 Silverado Exhaust Leak/Knocking

07-13 Silverado Exhaust Leak/Knocking

Postby LucianoDeLo [OP] » Apr 11 2014, 4:19am

I have a 2008 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8 recently I went off roading and scraped my right CAT on the ground, ever since I hear a rotational clicking/ knocking coming from under the truck in the engine area from the drivers side wheel to under the accelerator. Its super noticeable on cold start ups and at high idle 700-900 RPM. after it warms up its not as noticeable, however when i'm driving on city roads I can hear it usually when under 40 MPH and when the RPM is between 800-1400. Its usually on accelerations that I can hear it but when i'm coasting and not on the accelerator or decelerator but am slowing down I can hear it. If any one has had this issue or knows what it it please share. below is a video with the noise keep in mind its recorded with my phone so you have to listen close. When I rev the engine and get above 1400 RPM the noise isn't noticeable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvmBQto ... e=youtu.be
Original Poster
LucianoDeLo
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 29
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 LT Ext. Cab Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 07-13 Silverado Exhaust Leak/Knocking

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Apr 11 2014, 4:24am

You said the right side Cat dragged but you are hearing the noise from the driver's side? Do me a favor and just start the truck and let it idle. Walk around to the passenger side and see if you hear the noise on the passenger side, through the wheel well. If so, it may very well be your collector has moved within the connection between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust piping. That knocking noise, which sounds a lot like a ticking can almost 'jump' around inside the engine compartment and sound like it is coming from a different area.
Tracy likes to be man-handled
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 299
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...usually in the form of a tornado.
Year: 2009
Extra Info: Sounds fast
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby LucianoDeLo [OP] » Apr 12 2014, 1:32am

Im sorry about the confusion, I scraped the left drivers side CAT and I can hear the noise through the wheel well.
Original Poster
LucianoDeLo
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby LucianoDeLo [OP] » Apr 12 2014, 1:53am

Original Poster
LucianoDeLo
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby djlove » Apr 12 2014, 2:04pm

I did the exact same thing and my flutter or tic is not as bad but I wasn't able to pin point it. When it was really cold my water pump went and I swapped it out and then with the hood open I cranked the engine, I noticed exhaust leaking out the exhaust manifold on the drivers side. So I would check the exhaust manifold gasket and the connection from the manifold to the exhaust.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
djlove
Topics: 24
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Roughneck4x4 » Nov 08 2019, 4:08pm

Did the exact same thing on my truck drivers side collector is where mine was leaking start truck and feel around the collector (manifold to y pipe) I could feel air pulsing out I have read that gasket sucks anyways haven’t had time to replace it.
Roughneck4x4
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: 1500 4.8l 2wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Exhaust