jQuery not supported.

6.0 Exhaust Recommendations

6.0 Exhaust Recommendations

Postby Loomis [OP] » Aug 29 2020, 2:51am

Hey all,

Looking for some recommendations on the exhaust for my truck. It’s a 2018 Sierra 2500 crew cab standard box with the 6.0. Currently I have a Magnaflow 12909 welded on and just recently cut the tailpipe to dump it over the axle. Did this on my 1500 and it sounded much better and I liked the cleaner look. Plus my tailpipe was looking pretty rusty. Weird thing is it sounds a little deeper in the cab but almost slightly quieter. I’ve looked at cat backs as well. I’ve looked at the Borla kit, Flowmaster Force 2, and the MBRP XP system. Also thought about just replacing the Magnaflow with something more aggressive. The issue with this is very few shops around here can do 3.5” pipe and no one can bend it.

Anyway, I don’t know much about MBRP other than very popular in the diesel world. I believe these are made in Canada? Muffler replacement I’ve looked at a Flowmaster 50 HD in stainless but not a straight forward answer on how this would sound. It’s middle of the road Flowmaster but I hear the 6.0 can get loud! Thought Borla XR1 as well but again straight in and out and the stock muffler was offset/offset.

My head is spinning and keep going back and forth.
Original Poster
Loomis
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L All Star
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 6.0 Exhaust Recommendations

Postby Onlyina_Chevy » Aug 29 2020, 5:42am

Have you considered using an exhaust shop for those specialty guys that actually bend pipe and piece a system together?

Seems cheaper in my opinion to do it that way. My first system on my 2009 ran me $375~$425 when I had it done and it survived 10 years with just minor fixes (rusted/broken hangers). I knew what I wanted when I went in after listening to other people's vehicles and asking them what they had on similar vehicles (when I say similar, I mean 1999 to present Chevy/GMC with a 5.3) so I'd have an idea of what mine could sound like. Even if you use our Exhaust Database thread (which obviously needs all new links!), you could have a good idea of the muffler you could use to get your particular preference of sound quality. However, I think "live" is way better since you lose a little depending on the equipment used to record the video).

Hope this helps.

EDIT: New links added to the Exhaust Database
Tracy likes to be man-handled
Onlyina_Chevy
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 303
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Location: Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...usually in the form of a tornado.
Year: 2009
Extra Info: Sounds fast
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Servicemen
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Loomis [OP] » Sep 07 2020, 11:05pm

Hey all, wanted to give an update. I ended up purchasing a MBRP XP series exhaust for my truck. I got it online for 20% off as a Labor Day sale. Ended up costing me $523. I finally got it installed today after we got home from camping. Install went pretty well although I did have to use an impact on the stud bolts of the OEM system. New system I had to make one cut of the midpipe to get the proper length for my cab/box combination.

My initial impressions are that the system seems to be really well made and the welds and fit were very nice. Upon startup the system is definitely more aggressive than the a Magnaflow 12909 muffler that was on the truck. My first drive with it was only up town but I was able to get on it a little during acceleration. The exhaust note is big and powerful. I didn’t notice any drone and the muffler seemed to quiet down a lot during steady speed. Once I get a chance to take it on a longer trip and higher speeds, I will update this again. So far I’m very happy with this. It even came with the much nicer band clamps instead of saddle clamps.
Original Poster
Loomis
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Python6446 » Sep 08 2020, 11:41pm

Loomis, I have a question about the Magnaflow 12909? Do you have a picture of it installed? I did the same on my truck just a muffler swap to the 12909, but mine would drone super bad in the cab. Any driving between 1500-2000 rpm was awful. It would resonate through the cab and give you a head ache. The 12909 had to be installed at and angle so I don’t know if that’s the issue. Also, was perforated tube inside the muffler a truck circle? Mine was crimped at the curves like it wasn’t mandrel bent. I’m just looking for help cause it’s hard to drive the truck right now.
Python6446
Year: 2019
Variant: LTZ
Extra Info: 2500HD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby micoln » Sep 16 2020, 3:36am

I ordered my MBRP exhaust from 4wheelonline. It sounds great. Not the loudest exhaust but it has a nice growl to it.
micoln
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Year: 2014
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 4wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Python6446 » Sep 16 2020, 4:33am

Is there any drone with the MBRP setup?
Python6446
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Loomis [OP] » Sep 17 2020, 2:04am

Python6446 wrote:Loomis, I have a question about the Magnaflow 12909? Do you have a picture of it installed? I did the same on my truck just a muffler swap to the 12909, but mine would drone super bad in the cab. Any driving between 1500-2000 rpm was awful. It would resonate through the cab and give you a head ache. The 12909 had to be installed at and angle so I don’t know if that’s the issue. Also, was perforated tube inside the muffler a truck circle? Mine was crimped at the curves like it wasn’t mandrel bent. I’m just looking for help cause it’s hard to drive the truck right now.

I never had any major drone to speak of. I had some sound inside the truck around 55-60 mph which would be the rpms you speak of. Mine was also installed on a slight angle. That should make no difference in sound since exhaust is a pressurized gas. I don’t recall how the perforated tube on the Magnaflow looked exactly. I know you could pretty much see straight through it no problem. I’m trying to remember if that tube actually reduced down to a 3” inside or not. My muffler was mounted as far to the rear as possible just before the over axle pipe. Before I decided to get the MBRP I even cut the tailpipe so it dumped over axle. It was slightly deeper but no increase in sound. Did the same on my 2013 Silverado 1500 and it was a big difference.
Original Poster
Loomis
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Loomis [OP] » Sep 17 2020, 2:06am

Python6446 wrote:Is there any drone with the MBRP setup?

I haven’t noticed any drone. You can hear the exhaust note in the truck but I haven’t heard any reverberation associated with drone. It’s definitely more pronounced than the Magnaflow but nowhere near obnoxious. All I would say is that if you don’t like the sound out of the Magnaflow you probably won’t like the MBRP.
Original Poster
Loomis
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Python6446 » Sep 21 2020, 12:44pm

I like the exhaust sound it’s just the terrible drone. I’m thinking of adding a resonator after the muffler to see if that helps. Any thoughts on this?
Python6446
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Exhaust