jQuery not supported.

Corsa Disappointment

Corsa Disappointment

Postby GOAT721 [OP] » Apr 16 2018, 12:40pm

So I ordered a corsa db and it came Saturday. I was super excited and installed it first thing Sunday morning. The product looked great, was packaged very well, and the instructions were good. The sound outside the truck is great. The problem? DRONE!!! I thought that corsa was supposed to be ZERO drone?!?! The truck now drones continuously from 60 mph to 70 mph where I do all my highway driving (approx. 50 miles of hwy a day). It does it in V4 AND V8 modes. I couldn't have installed the muffler backwards as it will only fit the correct way. I am super surprised and disappointed. I have always had flowmasters and never had to deal with drone.

at this point, I am not sure what I am going to do. my only hope (and I know its a LONG shot) is that rolling up my bed cover might help. I might have to look into dynomat and mass loaded vinyl to try to keep this drone from driving me insane.

I am not sure if this was a rant, or a request for suggestions...I guess any ideas would help.
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
Original Poster
GOAT721
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 41
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Corsa Disappointment

Postby 05Canuck » Apr 16 2018, 12:45pm

I thought they were drone proof! I have never heard any member who owns a Corsa mention anything about drone. I'm staying tuned for the out come of this one.
05Canuck
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 52
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 5.3 CCSB
Group Membership:
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Apr 16 2018, 12:53pm

Every exhaust that’s louder than stock will have some drone to it.

You haven’t installed a flowmaster in a newer truck to know what real drone is. Disable afm and it will make it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 96
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby GOAT721 [OP] » Apr 16 2018, 1:06pm

its not really any better in V8 mode than V4, might actually be a bit worse in V8 mode, still too early to tell. it was loud enough to hear over the rain on I-95 this morning. if this is just the "accepted" sound for the newer trucks, I would be astonished. my coworker that I carpool with also said it was annoying. it sounds great around town, just the steady highway driving drones and resonates so much.

05Canuck, I thought so too. I will update if I find a way to fix this
Original Poster
GOAT721
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Apr 16 2018, 1:22pm

It is. The newer trucks are running at a low rpm on the highway with the gearing. coupled with the manifolds, cats, and afm that’s the sound you get.

After running two carvens, mbrp, dronemaster, and being in a truck with Gibson, it’s what you get. Some are just far worse than others. And some have a higher tolerance for it than others.

SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Apr 16 2018, 1:24pm

Look up j pipes, it’s a good way to kill drone. Or add a resonator back in.

Even the factory systems could drone on the newer 5.3s which is why they added a resonator and flapper valve in 2014

ferraiolo1
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Apr 16 2018, 1:24pm

I have the sport on my 17 and it has zero drone at any speed or rpm. It did have a weird sound to it when I still had AFM active but it wasnt really a drone, just a very noticeable change in the sound since half the cylinders are missing.

In fact, just cruising along at say 70mph or so, you cant even hear the exhaust. It sounds just like stock. It's when your on the throttle that let's you hear it and it sounds good.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 109
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Apr 16 2018, 1:52pm

Never heard of a Corsa with drone...that is one of the biggest selling points, having no drone. When I get on the highway, in my 4 speed truck and it doesn't shift quick enough, I still get no drone...ever.

I'd at least get a tuner and disable AFM and at least firm up the shift points, or more and better, get a Lewtune.
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: Z71 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby GOAT721 [OP] » Apr 16 2018, 2:16pm

19trax95 wrote:I have the sport on my 17 and it has zero drone at any speed or rpm. It did have a weird sound to it when I still had AFM active but it wasnt really a drone, just a very noticeable change in the sound since half the cylinders are missing.

In fact, just cruising along at say 70mph or so, you cant even hear the exhaust. It sounds just like stock. It's when your on the throttle that let's you hear it and it sounds good.

this is what I was expecting/hoping for. its my understanding that the db uses the sport muffler. I don't know if maybe I got a bad muffler with some internal dimensions that are out of spec.

If I add a resonator back in, will it change the sound outside of the vehicle? if so, how much? (I could cut it out of the stock exhaust that is still in my garage. Or would the resonator need to be tuned to the exact frequencies I am getting?

Should it go after the muffler, or does it not matter?
Original Poster
GOAT721
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dav2no1 » Apr 16 2018, 2:18pm

What is the model# of the kit you bought?
2012 SILVERADO LTZ 5.3L -4x4 -6 Speed -Bilstein- K&N -Borla- Line.X -GM Steps -LEDs-Diablew Tuned
1964 C-10 383 Stroker -12 Bolt Posi -Custom Holley 650 -Hurst Shifter -Stan's Headers -2 1/2" duals w/H pipe-40 series Flowmasters
dav2no1
Topics: 30
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 5.3L LTZ 4X4 6 speed
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Next

Return to Exhaust