jQuery not supported.

Exhaust ideas 2016 5.3L

Exhaust ideas 2016 5.3L

Postby Dylbilly [OP] » Jan 23 2020, 4:19pm

I know this topic has been best to death but after extensive searching I have yet to find the answer I’m looking for. First let me start off by saying I’m new to this forum and I look forward to learning from you all. I have a 2016 5.3L LTZ that I recently purchased and want to do some minor mods to it. I’m getting a custom tune from a local tuner to have the V4 mode deleted and to “clean up” the shifting of the truck. After I want to make the truck sound like a v8 and not a sewing machine. Once it’s tuned my plan is to get a stainless steel cat back exhaust to delete the resonator and the flapper valve and have the stock muffler welded back in. I’m not a fan of loud exhausts and want this truck to sound like a 07-13 1500. Any thoughts on thoughts this? Thank you
Original Poster
Dylbilly
Topics: 2
Year: 2016
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Exhaust ideas 2016 5.3L

Postby GBSierraSLE » Jan 23 2020, 4:45pm

Welcome to the site! Show us a pic of your truck when you get a chance.

Many members would HIGHLY recommend a Diablo tuner and a Lew tune. Lew is a master at tuning GM trucks and makes a great difference in drivability/trans shifting, etc. This also gives you the capability to remove the tune any time you might take your truck to the dealer for a recall or warranty work, then reinstall the tune when you get the truck back. http://www.diablocustomtune.com/

As far as exhaust, I have a Borla Touring cat-back on my '13 and really like it. Nice tone, loud(ish) when you get on it and no drone.
'13 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Fire Red-Bought new. 2" level-Michelin 275/60/20-DiabLew-Webasto Moonroof-Borla Touring 32 dmp-Bedrug-Helwig-Rosen-Denali grille-Extang-Raptor-Boss plow-SL1 LED's. 19,420 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4
Group Membership:
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Dylbilly [OP] » Jan 23 2020, 4:50pm

Let me that I don’t want the exhaust to be any louder then a stock 07-13 and the reason for stainless cat back with a stock muffler welded in it because I live in salt country and don’t want for welds pieced in then I need to have. I’m willing to spend the money or take to achieve what I’m after.
Original Poster
Dylbilly
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Jan 23 2020, 4:52pm

The stock system is stainless.

The stock muffler also will not sound any different with the valve gone.

Even with long tube headers the stock muffler was still literally as quiet as it was right off the lot. I had more noise from my intake than the exhaust lol.

The larger magnaflow mufflers should get you what your after. Just make sure to get the larger ones if you want quiet but deep sound.
19trax9519trax95 is online!
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 128
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby nealinator » Jan 23 2020, 4:53pm

I have the stated tuner and a Lew tune as Gary mentioned. Dont know what your local guy is charging...but the ability to remove it for services is excellent. and you can set tire sizes if you change them ever. Tuners run from $200 used to $300ish new. And a custom tune is $150. Good for a year of any changes you make and can do others later for a small fee. Lew does it with your trucks info and all over email. super easy and super dialed in.
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain   178,404 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Michelin 305/50R20 - Airaid MIT
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - DiabLew Tune

$$$ Total Build Cost Excel Spreadsheet $$$
nealinator
Topics: 157
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Postby Hate Work » Jan 23 2020, 5:51pm

When all was said and done, I went with a cat back dual exhaust including a 22" Magnaflow. Is is quiet once the cold start is over but roars when I want it to. The exhaust is had to see, but it's there. Just the way I wanted it.
Silverado Rear after.jpg
Hate Work
2016 Silver Ice Metallic Z71
Hate Work
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby LRod » Jan 23 2020, 7:47pm

I've got the MBRP XP stainless catback (single side). I really like the sound! It sounds really deep and only loud when I punch it. I too don't like really loud exhausts but wanted something more substantial than stock. Sitting idle you can barely hear anything and at highway speeds it sounds slightly more than stock. The MBRP sounded like what I felt was the perfect V8 sound. It's got a nice deep growl when you accelerate. Also it's relatively inexpensive at $500 considering it's really high quality. Go on you tube and check out the different brands and models till you find what you like.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
LRod
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 35
Year: 2019
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: LD 5.3 V8 LT 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby joes74challenger » Jan 23 2020, 9:50pm

After many reviews of Carven on these forums and a few youtube searches, I took a chance and have been very happy with them. If you watch their install video it shows an in-cab sound clip of the progressive (quiet) and competitor (loud) mufflers. the systems are stainless and as a first-time installer of any exhaust ever I found it a breeze to install. the hardest part was getting the factory bolt on the original exhaust of my 16 LTS off (i gave up and cut the clamp as new ones were provided in the kit). plus you save a crap ton of weight as the new system is only 40-45 pounds shipped. i went with the competitor but you would probably more interested in the progressive given your taste in a quieter system (although after the rowdy warm start the competitor quiets right down at cruising speeds and normal conversations can be had at normal volume).
joes74challenger
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 V8 LTZ 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby judsonlimited » Jan 23 2020, 11:44pm

I had a carven TR muffler and single tip on my 2015 5.3. Also deleted the resonator and flapper valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3SiSYWKgUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr1_s12j-y4

"CritterGitter: I'm just baffled at the amount of dumb worthless douchebaggery I see being done to these good trucks"

JEFFREY EPSTEIN DIDN'T KILL HIMSELF
judsonlimited
Topics: 139
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2019
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Dylbilly [OP] » Jan 25 2020, 1:16pm

After looking at my exhaust last night I have the flapper valve behind the muffler and think I’m going to try and find a shop to bend me a piece from the muffler back. This will get rid of both the flapper and resonator and hopefully save me some coin from buying a whole new system. How likely is it to find a shop that can bend me a new piece is that relatively easy or kind of a long shot?
Original Poster
Dylbilly
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Exhaust