jQuery not supported.

Exhaust sputters after warm

Exhaust sputters after warm

Postby Vortecgmc1 [OP] » Jul 10 2012, 4:54pm

I have searched the whole exhaust forum and haven't found a similar problem to what my truck is doing. I have true duals with cats removed and Flowmasters into 3in tips. The truck sounds great when i fire it up cold, but after it gets close to operating temp the passenger side tip sputters and sounds like crap. My guess is bad O2 sensors but if I can find out for sure before i drop 50$ a pop it would be great. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks. :D

2000 GMC Sierra SL
5.3 vortec
Single cab, long wheel base
180,xxx
Original Poster
Vortecgmc1
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 single cab lwb
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Exhaust sputters after warm

Postby ASTE25 » Jul 11 2012, 12:10am

Are there any codes in the computer? I would have it checked to see if there are any codes before throwing money and parts at it.
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Vortecgmc1 [OP] » Jul 11 2012, 4:04am

it throws the O2 sensor code I think its the bank 1 & 2 below thresh hold can't member the exact code but I will get my brother's scanner and check it to be sure
Original Poster
Vortecgmc1
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Vortecgmc1 [OP] » Jul 11 2012, 4:46am

Alright so I checked it and the two that came up are P0300-random multiple misfire and P0137 O2 sensor low voltage Bank 1 sensor 2. I did think one was bad because I took it out because I heard a rattling coming from the exhaust and it stops so it has to be bad right? I cleared them and plan on checking again in a day or two to make sure they aren't old codes. thanks for the reply
Original Poster
Vortecgmc1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jul 11 2012, 7:02pm

With the misfire condition and the rattling in the exhaust I would think you have burned the converters up.
Jordan
ASTE25
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Vortecgmc1 [OP] » Jul 11 2012, 8:35pm

You would probably be right except for the converters have been removed and the sputter is still happening. Sorry I should have specified about that. It had smaller tips on when i bought it so it was harder to notice but I am positive it was happening prior to getting larger tips. thanks a bunch for taking time to help
Original Poster
Vortecgmc1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Vortecgmc1 [OP] » Jul 15 2012, 4:02am

Also the misfire code didn't come back the second check with the scanner. I'm starting to get discouraged because I figured someone might have had the same issue but it don't seem like...well thanks anyway for postin' s couple suggestions. p.s. if I have any breakthroughs I will be sure to post em'
Original Poster
Vortecgmc1
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jul 15 2012, 4:34am

Yea, I re-read your first post and see where you said the cat's had been removed. Sorry I was no help.
Jordan
ASTE25
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to Exhaust