jQuery not supported.

Kooks Long Tube Headers with Catted Y-Pipe

2008 1500 4.8L headers

Kooks Long Tube Headers with Catted Y-Pipe

Postby Bulldogg220 [OP] » Mar 24 2020, 2:08pm

What’s up, some of you may know me from The Bulldogg build but as the pieces fall into place with the build I’m coming up to the exhaust portion of it. Now I’m doing the 1 3/4 Kooks Long tubes with catted Y pipe since I’m in New Jersey and I’m reading a lot of mixed issues with other similar setups, 02 sensor adapters, using OEM Gaskets instead of the ones that come with the headers, and other odd issues, all I wanna know is everything I need to know when the time comes, I’m already squared away on my broken manifold bolts, I plan on using the Stage 8 locking bolts, and ceramic coating the tubes with a couple layers and then wrapping them, what else do you guys think I’m going to need or have to be cautious about.
Its all about twisted steel and sex appeal
Original Poster
Bulldogg220
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: WT
Extra Info: 1500 WT 4x4 4.8L
Group Membership:
First Responders
Registered users

Re: Kooks Long Tube Headers with Catted Y-Pipe

Postby 19trax95 » Mar 24 2020, 2:15pm

Definitely use new OEM gaskets. You may or may not need sensor harness extensions. Unless your going with those crazy expensive green cats, you'll still probably need to have the downstream o2 reporting tuned out.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 128
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Bulldogg220 [OP] » Mar 24 2020, 2:21pm

19trax95 wrote:Definitely use new OEM gaskets. You may or may not need sensor harness extensions. Unless your going with those crazy expensive green cats, you'll still probably need to have the downstream o2 reporting tuned out.

What’s wrong with the gaskets that come with the kooks headers?? And no I’m just using the regular catted y pipe
Original Poster
Bulldogg220
Group Membership:
First Responders
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Mar 24 2020, 2:24pm

If they are the OEM type MLS gaskets they might be fine. But the OEM gaskets are so cheap that to me, I'd rather go with the ones I know will seal and last.

And yeah you'll more likely than not need to have the downstream sensors shut off. The truck will still probably throw the p0430 and p0420 codes for catalyst efficiency.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Bulldogg220 [OP] » Mar 24 2020, 2:31pm

19trax95 wrote:If they are the OEM type MLS gaskets they might be fine. But the OEM gaskets are so cheap that to me, I'd rather go with the ones I know will seal and last.

And yeah you'll more likely than not need to have the downstream sensors shut off. The truck will still probably throw the p0430 and p0420 codes for catalyst efficiency.

So what’s the verdict, get oem gaskets or stick with the provided gaskets that come with the long tubes?
Original Poster
Bulldogg220
Group Membership:
First Responders
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Mar 24 2020, 2:40pm

OEM. Like I mentioned, depending what the kooks come with, they may be just fine.

But since they are cheap and known to work the best, the oem is the only option I'd personally go with.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby adam86107 » Mar 24 2020, 3:25pm

Coincidentally, I was just looking at this set-up for my 19'. My concern was with those downstream o2 sensors and not being able to tune it. They market a system specifically for the 19'-20' trucks so I would think it would work without a tune.
adam86107
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 74
Year: 2005
Extra Info: RST 5spd manual 4.8L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Bulldogg220 [OP] » Mar 26 2020, 11:04pm

I’ve been doing some more research and it seems that the guys that have fitment issues for long tubes 8/10 have work engine mounts, which makes plenty of sense now that I put the pieces together but I guess I won’t really know until I get it up in there
Original Poster
Bulldogg220
Group Membership:
First Responders
Registered users

Postby MIKE91B » Mar 26 2020, 11:49pm

I have installed at least 10 sets of kooks headers. I’m a big fan of the product as the fitment is second to none. The quality of the headers is just as good. As for the cats they don’t work well enough to pass testing without help. They just don’t clean the exhaust up enough. They are too far away from the heat source to function correctly long term. GM knows long tubes make more power but as of yet the heat needed to create proper catalyst function can not be generated at distance from the cylinder head. I always used the gaskets supplied by kooks. I never had issues but still favor the factory gaskets. As for coatings to the headers. There is a company by the name of swain that you should really take a look at. It’s not a bake on ceramic coating process it’s ten times better than what you can do yourself. This company has aided more race teams in rewriting rule books than just about anyone. Check them out before you buy anything. http://swaintech.com/
2015 Reg cab, 2wd, 5.3l, On3 single turbo, E85 conversion, 4.10 rear gear, and HP Tuner software.
MIKE91B
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby Bulldogg220 [OP] » Mar 27 2020, 12:31am

MIKE91B wrote:I have installed at least 10 sets of kooks headers. I’m a big fan of the product as the fitment is second to none. The quality of the headers is just as good. As for the cats they don’t work well enough to pass testing without help. They just don’t clean the exhaust up enough. They are too far away from the heat source to function correctly long term. GM knows long tubes make more power but as of yet the heat needed to create proper catalyst function can not be generated at distance from the cylinder head. I always used the gaskets supplied by kooks. I never had issues but still favor the factory gaskets. As for coatings to the headers. There is a company by the name of swain that you should really take a look at. It’s not a bake on ceramic coating process it’s ten times better than what you can do yourself. This company has aided more race teams in rewriting rule books than just about anyone. Check them out before you buy anything. http://swaintech.com/

That’s pretty good info, honestly I was waiting for someone that’s had a couple run throughout to drop some info on here, I will definitely look into that company and what would be needed for the cats to somewhat work properly
Original Poster
Bulldogg220
Group Membership:
First Responders