jQuery not supported.

o2 sensors are all bad

o2 sensors are all bad

Postby zackattack [OP] » Jun 29 2012, 2:07am

i went and got my check engine light read, and 6 codes came up front banks 1,2 back banks 1,2 are malfunctioning, there is a heater malfunction (don't remember exactly what it said), and left bank running too lean. i didn't get the codes just what they where. This seems odd that every o2 sensor is bad, but i guess its possible. i talked to some people on the chat and they said it could be something wrong in my engine...hopefully not engines are expensive (but a good reason to go bigger :D ). i ordered two new o2 sensors one pre and one post converter, i plan on changing one side out and seeing if any codes change/ disappear. o and i checked the fuses and they are fine. any help on possible problems in the engine or that would trigger all those codes would be appreciated. thank you.
Original Poster
zackattack
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2003
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

o2 sensors are all bad

Postby Machster69 » Jun 29 2012, 2:16am

At least they are pretty easy to swap out :/ cant say ive heard of them all going out at once?
Machster69
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 107
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 SLE 2wd
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Re: o2 sensors are all bad

Postby ASTE25 » Jun 29 2012, 3:23am

It sounds like you have more than just an o2 sensor bad. The bank being lean would lead me to believe you have a vacuum leak, or possibly an exhaust leak. Just because a code says something about the o2 sensor does not mean that the sensor is the problem. The one with the bad heater in it will definatly need replaced though.
Jordan
ASTE25
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby zackattack [OP] » Jun 29 2012, 3:37am

ok those are easy enough to check for, sometime soon after work ill check for the vacuum/ exhaust leak and hopefully find it.lol
Original Poster
zackattack
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SouthernSilverado50 » Jun 29 2012, 3:46am

ASTE25 wrote:It sounds like you have more than just an o2 sensor bad. The bank being lean would lead me to believe you have a vacuum leak, or possibly an exhaust leak. Just because a code says something about the o2 sensor does not mean that the sensor is the problem. The one with the bad heater in it will definatly need replaced though.

Thats what I said in the chat. Started working out at the family mechanic and body shop, much more seriously this summer. I have always tinkered out there but im really starting to learn now. Heck its alway been in my blood, :D alway had the urgre to fix things, espically vehicles.
But when he said it was running lean i figured it was something along the lines of a vaccum leak as well
2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3 / Ready Lift Leveling Kit / Tow Mirrors / Ranch Hand Grill / 130w KC Slimlites / Borla Catback / Fosgate System / Blacked out bumpers / Debadged / Neoprene Camo Seat covers / LED conversions / 30 % Tint / 33" Kelly TSR Safari
SouthernSilverado50
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 17
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby zackattack [OP] » Jun 29 2012, 9:54pm

there is antifreeze leaking out of the top somewhere too (puddle on top of engine), its a slow leak. But all the lines seem to be in ok shape no cracking or anything. so if my intake manifold gasket is bad would that cause coolent to leak along with a vacuum leak? or where else should i look?
Original Poster
zackattack
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jun 30 2012, 12:21am

No coolant goes through the intake manifold itself. You may have a line going to and from the throttle body though.
Jordan
ASTE25
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby zackattack [OP] » Jul 09 2012, 9:50pm

i went and got my codes read again, and this time got them written down. so here they are
P0134
P0137
P0141 (pulled twice)
P0161 (pulled twice)
P1133
P1153
i feel like that is a lot of codes.lol guess i should get searching on what they are, if anyone knows what they are please let me know thank you.
Original Poster
zackattack
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Jul 10 2012, 3:17am

Try this web site: http://www.obd-codes.com/
You can put your codes in and it will tell you what they are and give you tips on how to fix the problem.
Jordan
ASTE25
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to Exhaust