jQuery not supported.

Pros and Cons to gutting the Cat?

Re: Pros and Cons to gutting the Cat?

Postby Gregtaz42 » Mar 08 2019, 3:08pm

Then, the chambered mufflercame about only because the cat back system on Ebay is by far the cheapest option. Again, saving $... but I know it made a night and day difference in how the truck runs..
Gregtaz42
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 1990
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Kenmathis [OP] » Mar 20 2019, 5:20pm

tzfbird wrote:If you need more power focus on the TBI itself first and a cam second. I built a 327 for my car using the TBI and had the factory throttle body and had the throttle bores increased so I could run throttle blades off a TPI throttle body. Essentially this increased throttle bore sizes from factory 43mm to 48mm which translates to over a 12% increase in intake CFM potential. At this point the 60lb/hr fuel injectors are maxed out by the time I reach 4000rpm. This is running through 3" exhaust no converter.
A 327 is not something I've looked at in quite a time, did you keep the 60lb injectors, upgrade them or end up using a different injector setup later? Curious, what was the increase in crank torque and hp with the 12% difference?

tzfbird wrote:What did slow me down was fixing the vacuum leak which was running the engine lean thus creating more power.
For some reason, I had thought the other way around where running richer made better power - this explains quite a few things.

92 K1500 SLE w/ Z71
Cooper MTP's 285/75/16 on MB Chaos 6 Spoke wheels

Ask and ask and ask till you get it right.
Original Poster
Kenmathis
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 41
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 1992
Extra Info: 1500 5.7LV8 Z71 SLE
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dilligaf1014d » Jul 16 2021, 11:32pm

What about replacing cat with a glass pack would that still free it up but help with sniff test and im curious to know if it sets the engine code or not just a thought dont have no idea if or what it would do or how it would sound or act but it seems to me it would make sense if it would help or be better than just a pipe or just keeping cat on and sound be better than just pipe but all just a thought with no clue if someone does know what it would do please let me know to just feed my curiosity tyvm
dilligaf1014d
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Newly registered users
Registered users

Postby Longshore21 » Jul 18 2021, 1:24am

A definite pro for me was to buy a truck from a reputable dealer which the previous owner deleted the def system and straight piped it. I have a new emissions system that so far has only lost a couple sensors. The truck also had the wrong spindles on it ruining the ucas. They took it back and now I have a new front ent too.
Longshore21
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2015
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: 3500 CCSB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby shakenfake » Jul 18 2021, 4:57am

dilligaf1014d wrote:What about replacing cat with a glass pack would that still free it up but help with sniff test and im curious to know if it sets the engine code or not just a thought dont have no idea if or what it would do or how it would sound or act but it seems to me it would make sense if it would help or be better than just a pipe or just keeping cat on and sound be better than just pipe but all just a thought with no clue if someone does know what it would do please let me know to just feed my curiosity tyvm

Still gonna get the code. Also gonna sound like ass
Bandito
LQ4 Swapped 99 ECSB
212/218 low lift cam, 862 heads
shakenfake
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Shifting into Third Gear [L3]
Topics: 44
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT