jQuery not supported.

True Dual straight pipe, or true dual straight pipe+mufflers

needing help on the best mufflers to add to a 3 inch true dual straight pipe

True Dual straight pipe, or true dual straight pipe+mufflers

Postby GibsonBanjos [OP] » Jul 20 2017, 8:30pm

I'm getting a three inch true dual straight pipe, probably from the headers back soon, and I also just purchased two 2.5 inch thunderbolt high flow cats. My buddies, some who have true dual straight pipes only and some that have true dual straight pipes with a muffler, have been telling me what they would and wouldn't do. So basically my question boils down to this: would adding one of the loudest mufflers on the market take away from the loudness and sound of a straight pipe or would it just change the tone. If I were to get mufflers, I am either going to get a dual in dual out flowmaster super 10 muffler, or two dynomax bullet race mufflers or some type of dynomax muffler. Now with that being said, if any of those mufflers would take away from the loudness of a straight pipe I most likely won't do it. But the plus sides to having a muffler, if it doesn't take away from the sound, would be a little horsepower and mph gain (coming from my buddies who have mufflers) and also the fact that I wouldn't hopefully be written a ticket for having no muffler since I live in Southern Virginia. Any input whatsoever will be greatly appreciated, thank y'all!
Original Poster
GibsonBanjos
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: True Dual straight pipe, or true dual straight pipe+muff

Postby Badmunky » Jul 21 2017, 3:44am

IMO if you don't run a muffler it will A: sound like crap, and B: you WILL get a ticket for it.

I have a Flowmaster 50HD on my truck with 2 cats and have been pulled over 1 time in the year it's been on there. I drive like an old man. So it had nothing to do with driving like a jerk. Its loud enough. On a cold start all my neighbors know when I start my truck. But after it's warmed up it's not to bad. But sounds good.

I had a 40 on my last truck and swapped it for a 50 after getting pulled over 4 times in 6 months. (Sounded good tho! :mrgreen: )
My neighbors also complained that it was to loud on a cold start at 6am. :roll:
Had a Gibson on my Yukon and liked it. But it was to quiet. But I never got pulled over. :lol:

Also true duals with no crossover or X pipe make less then power than a Y pipe would.

Watch this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCio5K0WfHU&t=821s[/youtube]

I would run an H pipe if I was you. It's cheap and helps with low end torque.

2015 Silverado 2500HD LT Z71 CCSB.
Badmunky
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 54
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: Z71 2500 6.0 CC 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GingerBeardedBadass » Jul 21 2017, 7:10am

Not sure if Southern Virginia is like Colorado but there is only a few officers that have decibel readers. And to get a ticket for exhaust in Colorado they have to prove its above a certain decibel.
"The future depends on what we do in the present."

2012 Silverado1500 All Star Edition, Borla Muffler, Diablo iTune with tune by Lew, Texas Speed and Performance Cam.
GingerBeardedBadass
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Year: 2012
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dsciulli19 » Jul 21 2017, 12:37pm

If you want it to sound about as attractive as a handful of 3/4" hex nuts thrown into a blender and run on high combined with a screeching cat, leave the mufflers out. The mufflers WILL make it less loud, however they will make it sound better in general. Mufflers are good.

-DS
2009 Onyx Black GMC Sierra SLT 1500 5.3L Flex
Crew Cab 4x4 6sp Auto
Tinted Out - Access Lorado Tonneau - DiabloSport InTune
Airaid M.I.T. - Morimoto 4.3K HID Lows - Saikou Michi OCC
dsciulli19
Topics: 48
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT CC 4wd 5.3L FLex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GibsonBanjos [OP] » Jul 21 2017, 3:25pm

Loving the help and opinions y'all will be the ones who help me decide haha. But in yalls opinion, which muffler(s) do you think would be the best? I'm considering getting two dynomax race magnum mufflers over say one flowmaster super 10 dual in dual out, when it comes to the muffler side, any one have experience with either or any other competing muffler?
Original Poster
GibsonBanjos
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 600doo » Jul 21 2017, 4:06pm

Dual 3" is too big for a 5.3. And "true dual" exhaust sounds like ****, you need a crossover of some kind(DI/DO muffler/h-pipe/x-pipe).
If your set on duals run dual 2.25 or 2.5 with a dual in dual out muffler of choice. Also generally speaking straight piped means no muffler so saying straight pipes with mufflers doesn't make sense.
2013 Sierra 1500 ECSB Z71 5.3L w/3.42s
-Airaid MIT
-Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers and ORY
-magnaflow single 3" exhaust
-BBP Tune
600doo
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 3
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ke5muj » Jul 22 2017, 12:46am

Get the 2 bullets. They sound awesome. I have true duals with magnaflow glasspacks. I love it
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants". Thomas Jefferson
ke5muj
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 50
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 5.3L SILVERAYYYYDO
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Badmunky » Jul 22 2017, 3:37am

Yeah for the 5.3L even 2.5" pipe is over kill. So I would do that.
2.5" pipe to 3" pipe makes almost no change in power. But it's more expensive and harder to rout cleanly.

Here watch this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PVXvHkr-Vs[/youtube]

620hp motor and the 3" system was not really that much more power. Your motor is a little over the half power of that one so a 3" system is not really going to gain you anything. At least not anything you will be able to notice. If anything at all.

As for a muffler I would run a Large body Magnaflow dual 2.5 in dual 2.5 out. And add an H pipe in there before the muffler.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-12568-MagnaFlow-Exhaust-Muffler/dp/B000CCDNUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500690115&sr=8-1&keywords=12568

Or run a flowmaster super 40 2.5 dual in dual out if you like that flowmaster sound.

https://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-8525454-Stainless-Exhaust-System/dp/B005OLBBJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500691003&sr=8-1&keywords=8525454

I would not a run a flowmaster 10 if it was free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way too loud and you WILL get pulled over for it. It's only a matter of time. Also it would SUCK on long drives as it's going to be way too loud and drone like made on the highway!

I had some crazy loud exhaust systems in my life. Every single one got replaced within 6 months. It gets old man.
Tho I must be a slow learner as I think I built like 5 of them before I stopped doing that. LOL Lot of money down the drain to learn that lesson.

Now a 50 is about as loud as I go. Maybe a 40 delta but that would be the limit for me. A super 40 is too loud for me. But probably just right for you.

Check this out.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcqJmwaDfYE[/youtube]

2015 Silverado 2500HD LT Z71 CCSB.
Badmunky
Topics: 54
Year: 2015
Extra Info: Z71 2500 6.0 CC 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ke5muj » Jul 22 2017, 1:48pm

I would stick with 2 1/4" for true duals for the 5.3

Anything bigger will make it a dog on the low end
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants". Thomas Jefferson
ke5muj
Topics: 50
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: 5.3L SILVERAYYYYDO
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GibsonBanjos [OP] » Jul 22 2017, 8:26pm

Alright well I watched the video comparing 2 1/2 and 3 inch straight pipes, well say if I did a 2 1/2 or a 2 3/4 straight pipe, would here be any sound difference between them and the 3 inch?
Original Poster
GibsonBanjos
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next