jQuery not supported.

what magnaflow model # did you buy.. help

what magnaflow model # did you buy.. help

Postby roc_my_tims [OP] » Sep 15 2012, 4:38am

Hello Guys,

I'm looking to purchase a Magnaflow muffler only online and take it to my local shop to have it installed. I have a 2004 extended cab v8 5.3. I measured the can and got 24 inches so i'm thinking this one is the one i need.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/disp ... mber=12286

but I wanted to double check if there's anything i'm missing? i'm leaving all the other piping stock.

also anyone got any idea of who has the absolute best price on this item i've tried ebay and amazon, and there around $90 or so shipped. i dont know if that can be beat anywhere.
also i'm paying $30 for install

or I guess maybe the best question might be how to know for sure what muffler to buy? especially if you dont want them welding extensions to make the 18in fit.
Original Poster
roc_my_tims
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3 Vortex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: what magnaflow model # did you buy.. help

Postby KBacon » Sep 15 2012, 1:37pm

The stock muffler is welded in... And will have to be cut out... So your guy is going to have to add a short piece of pipe to either side regardless...

The muffler length is a big factor in the mufflers sound... The longer the muffler... The quieter the sound will be... And the shorter it is... The louder it will be...
KBacon
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Silverbirch ECSB Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roc_my_tims [OP] » Sep 15 2012, 3:39pm

Hmm well stock is 24 inches im wondering if i should leave it that ways by buying the 24. Inch one. My concerns are will it be enjoyable or muted because its so long.

I do want a growl at woot, take off and under 2k rpms. The quit on the fwy with no drown.

Has everyone used an aftermarket muffler the same size as there stock?
Original Poster
roc_my_tims
Topics: 6
Year: 2004
Extra Info: 5.3 Vortex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 99chevysilverado » Sep 20 2012, 3:31am

I run the oval magnaflow stainless mufflers with true duals. I love the way it sounds, and i would recommend it to anyone looking for a deep great sound. im not sure the length of my mufflers but with stock piping i dont know how much the sound will change with aftermarket mufflers.
99chevysilverado
Topics: 2
Year: 1999
Extra Info: z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Exhaust