jQuery not supported.

ACF-50

ACF-50

Postby FoxProDenali [OP] » Jun 24 2020, 8:23pm

For those of you who've used this on rusted metal (frame, rockers, body panels, et), did you go after the existing rust with a wire brush first to knock as much as you can off and then spray it on?

From what I've seen/heard, it's kinda runny and soapy but loves to creep if you let it sit for a few days. Which might mean the above is a waste of time and metal....and it will just fall off anyway.

I'd rather not dig if I don't have to.

Any tips are welcome.
2007 Sierra Denali 1500
Kooks|Corsa|Amp Research|DiabLew Tune|Vitesse
Build Thread: FoxProDenali's 2007 Sierra - Build, Show, Tell
Original Poster
FoxProDenali
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: ACF-50

Postby 19trax95 » Jun 24 2020, 9:32pm

I would always get rid of as much rust as possible first.

I'm not sure how well it will work on treating rust that's already there. It works great to prevent it though.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 132
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Jun 25 2020, 12:17am

Yeah it only treats mild corrosion and stops further corrosion. If it’s bad rust you’re better off getting as much off as you can then treating with por15. THEN coating that with acf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Larry-Cleveland » Jun 25 2020, 2:22am

Everything I own has rust! I think it may be on my back too :)

I have had VERY GOOD results with Zero Rust about $75 a gallon. I have tested almost every product and this one is a winner. I use to be a Por-15 man back in the day too.
Larry-Cleveland
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 2500 60L 4X4 Flatbed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby FoxProDenali [OP] » Jun 25 2020, 3:48am

I have POR-15 and used it on the bottom of my doors 2 years ago. It just fell off after about a year. No match for the yearly salt bath and the pressure washer.

I use lots of Fluid Film. I even aggressively rub it in to force it to bond deeper rather than just spraying it on. Yeah, so....meh.

The ACF will mainly go in/on the rockers to prevent further damage. No one does rudimentary tests on rusted metal cause how can you say it stops rust on rust?
2007 Sierra Denali 1500
Kooks|Corsa|Amp Research|DiabLew Tune|Vitesse
Build Thread: FoxProDenali's 2007 Sierra - Build, Show, Tell
Original Poster
FoxProDenali
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ricka182 » Jun 25 2020, 12:18pm

Stopping rust with any paint isn't a scam, but it's pretty close IMO. You just need to have the right product for the best results. As stated, ACF-50 isn't going to fix, but it will help prevent further damage.

If you really want to stop the rust, aside from totally cutting it out...which if you have holes or weakened metal, that must be cut out and replaced...otherwise, sand it down to remove as much loose as you can, clean it up all around, at least 2-3" beyond any visible rust lines. Obviously on the inside, not much you can do.

Paint wise, if you wanted to go that route and get a little repair in, you could use a high-zinc/cold galvanized paint. That's what is used on something like a chain link fence, et al. There are also others like POR-15, KBS Rust Stop, Corroseal, etc.. Most of those are a derivative of high-zinc formulation. Permatex also has a product, not sure on the zinc content, but it has tannic acid, which makes the metal more stable, and also has a chemically treated primer in the mix.

For something like inside a rocker, it's rusted and you probably have flakes you can't remove. You could try an internal frame paint, Eastwood makes one. It goes in as a very fine mist to get into every little nook and cranny, so to speak...but it won't necessarily stop active rust, but may slow it down.

If I do my rockers, again, I'm likely going to have to cut and weld in new panels, inner and outer. I'm delaying and debating, but my AMP steps rely on the rockers to be strong to some degree, and they are ok now, but I can see where rust is creeping closer and closer...if that inner edge of the rocker gets weak, those steps could lose stability, although they are still firmly bolted in higher up where there is no rust in that area, at least not very visible..

Truck life = rust life...lol
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 177
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2006
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Servicemen
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Jun 25 2020, 12:56pm

Yeah if the rust is that bad already nothing to can really do other than cut it all out. Or just buy new doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 99
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to Exterior