jQuery not supported.

Auto 4x4 in the summer

Auto 4x4 in the summer

Postby 2013asesilvy [OP] » Aug 19 2013, 2:35am

So I got into my truck yesterday and noticed somehow it was turned to auto 4x4. ....I suspect it was my wife and I didn't notice it for a probably 100 miles or so of dry pavement. Please set my mind at ease and tell me nothing could be damaged except my mileage/truck owners reputation lol
Original Poster
2013asesilvy
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2013 All Star Editio
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Auto 4x4 in the summer

Postby 2013asesilvy [OP] » Aug 19 2013, 2:38am

I haven't even tried the 4x4 yet.....only 2000 miles on it
Original Poster
2013asesilvy
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby StarsnBars » Aug 19 2013, 2:39am

Should be no problems. The computer adjusts for driving conditions.
Enjoy that new truck!
Good information for all:
The SilveradoSierra.com Commandments
StarsnBars
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 250
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2012
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: H.D. 2500 Vortec 6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 2013asesilvy [OP] » Aug 19 2013, 2:50am

Thank you...man this forum is great!
Original Poster
2013asesilvy
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Aug 19 2013, 3:06am

Auto 4x4 allows the hubs to free wheel. So, you are really not putting any stress on the drive train. You have nothing to worry about, and you get to keep your man card!

- EKinMN via AutoGuide.com App
NEW: 2021 Silverado LT Z71, 5.3L, Katzkin leather, soft tonneau, bedliner
OLD: 2010 Sierra All Terrain, 5.3L, Range AFM delete, 2.5" level lift, Grenade XD wheels, 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
EKinMN
Topics: 154
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2021
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L 8 Speed
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby Copperhead » Aug 19 2013, 4:09am

The auto setting doesn't lock up anything in the front unless there is a lot of slip detected from the rear. We live on rough gravel roads so we switch in and out of 2WD and Auto each time we head out. Auto on the gravel and 2WD on the pavement. We have occasionally left it in Auto setting on pavement. I never worried about it. Mine got a good testing in 4WD before it had 200 miles on it going thru some pasture, cornfields, and up over some crop land terraces. Best to see what a new ride will do before it is actually needed.
Freedom is not having the choice to do what you want, but the choice to do what you ought.
Copperhead
Topics: 38
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 2500HD LT Z71 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dad2bandm » Aug 19 2013, 4:30am

Auto 4x4 is fine, if you don't mind the small decrease in gas milage. Like others have mentioned, the computer adjusts based on driving conditions.
dad2bandm
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2007
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3L V8 4x4 SLT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Mdsjohna » Aug 19 2013, 12:55pm

Thought I might pass this on. I found this when researching the autotrac in the Silverado. I think it pertains to our transfer case and I'm not sure if they made a change in 2009 or if the only reason it says up to 2009 is because it's when it was put out. Saying that I don't think there is any real reason to leave it in auto unless there is a real chance it will be needed. I think this guy at work leaves it in auto all winter which is six months here. Keep in mind this is in the very long term. Probably if you left it in auto for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Re: Autotrac 2wd/4wd selector in "Auto" mode....
« Reply #9 on: 01/16/09 05:05 PM »
The other reason for using auto or 4hi ONLY when conditions warrant is that the transfer case IS engaged in 4wd and is not designed to be driven 24\7 (unless conditions warrant) in 4wd. I have rebuilt many t-cases due to people running in auto all the time due to this I have attached a service bulletin that addresses this issue: PLEASE PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE LAST LINE.

Subject: Bearing or Metallic Grinding Sound While Operating In Auto, 4HI or 4LO Modes

Models: 2009 Cadillac Escalade Two-Mode Hybrid
2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Tahoe Two-Mode Hybrid
2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon Two-Mode Hybrid, Yukon XL, Yukon XL Denali
2007 GMC Sierra Classic
Equipped with Magna Transfer Case RPO NP1, NP8, NQF, NQH

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment about a noise in the transfer case in either AUTO or 4WD. This may sound like a noisy bearing or a metallic grinding sound. It may also be accompanied by a C0327 DTC. The transfer case noise may be caused by an apply plate bearing failure. As pressure gets applied to the clutch pack the apply plate bearing gets loaded. Continuous operation in either AUTO or 4WD shortens the life of the bearing.

Note: Although there will be some characteristic noise while operating in 4wd, a NQF transfer case it is not equipped with a apply plate or apply plate bearing due to not having a internal clutch. If a noise is heard in a vehicle equipped with a NP1 or NQF transfer case see the operating guide lines below and compare to a like vehicle with similar mileage prior to attempting repairs.
Recommendation/Instructions:

The apply plate bearing designs in these transfer cases are not rated for continuous operation. They are intended for intermittent operation only when 4WD is required.

Long periods of continuous operation have been experienced in the U.S northern border states and in the provinces of Canada. This type of operation will shorten the life of the transfer case and in particular the apply plate bearing. As a general rule transfer case selector switches should be left in the 2HI mode unless road conditions dictate otherwise.

The following is a guideline for the proper use of 4WD in Magna transfer cases RPO's NP1, NP8, NQH and NQF.

1. 2HI mode sends all of the drive train torque to the rear wheels. This provides the most fuel efficient driving mode.
2. Auto/4WD mode when engaged constantly monitors the vehicle's drivetrain to provide optimum traction as road conditions dictate. Torque is automatically transferred to the front wheels to provide seamless 4WD operation. Auto mode is intended for on-road driving that includes rain, snow, ice and gravel.
3. 4HI provides enhanced traction for snow, ice, and gravel and most off road conditions. It is not intended for use on dry pavement.
4. 4LO provides enhanced traction and increased torque multiplication to handle extreme on and off road conditions such as steep hills, deep sand, mud, snow and ice. 4LO can also be used during boat launch operations for increased torque availability.

Note: 2-4 Not intended for continuous operation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Mdsjohna
Topics: 25
Extra Info: 2012 Lt 5.3 6 speed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby rodcheapo » Aug 19 2013, 7:32pm

So the big scary description above is nice, but a little overkill. Do not leave the transfer case engaged for six months, or you will cause wear. 100 miles in Auto is fine. 100 miles in 4HI is fine, provided it's slippery and you aren't turning to lock on dry pavement. That's it.

OP - you're fine, though I may have to keep a close eye on that man card of yours! Actually, I guarantee if someone switched mine (which will never happen as no one is allowed to drive mine) I may not be able to notice, though the throttle response and acceleration out of a corner do seem diminished....
rodcheapo
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 Ext 4x4 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Mdsjohna » Aug 19 2013, 8:18pm

I don’t see how it’s a “big scary description," Its just saying what you are saying. All it says is that leaving it in “auto” all the time causes early failure of the transfer case but we are talking about many thousands of miles and probably years left in auto 24/7. The big long paragraph is simply a TSB that explains why it shouldn’t be left in Auto when it isn’t needed and what exactly will fail early.

Auto is 100% fine to use when conditions are questionable or even when on completely dry pavement but over the “very long” term it’s in your best interest to have it in 2wd.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Mdsjohna
Topics: 25
Extra Info: 2012 Lt 5.3 6 speed
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Exterior