jQuery not supported.

bed caps /camper tops

bed caps /camper tops

Postby red2500HD2008 [OP] » Jun 22 2020, 7:31pm

I’m considering getting a bed cap for my 2008 2500 HD (w/ the 8’ bed) so I can camp in it or put my dog in the back. I’d like to hear about the experiences of people that have them on their beds. Is the visibility out the back pretty bad? Can you still get up in the bed to move around cargo? Any advice?
Original Poster
red2500HD2008
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 4
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 6.0 long bed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: bed caps /camper tops

Postby ThomasInVancouver » Jun 22 2020, 8:57pm

If you get a fiberglass canopy check the latch configuration. My last canopy was a snugtop. There was one bolt holding the latch on each side to the glass with the gas strut connection off to the side of the latch mechanism. Once the bolt loosened a little the gas strut tweaked the whole latch mechanism and I was locked out of the canopy. After that I could never get it tight enough to stay straight. It would slowly twist and I would have to adjust it every month.

As for room inside, it depends on the canopy. I currently am waiting on an ARE DCU canopy. It’s quite utilitarian, but it is rather spacious. Condensation could be a concern. You could leave the windows open if it isn’t raining.
ThomasInVancouver
Topics: 2
Year: 2007
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Exterior