jQuery not supported.

Best method to paint fixed up rust spots?

Best method to paint fixed up rust spots?

Postby AirPuffedSugar [OP] » Jun 25 2020, 8:50am

I’ve got a couple small rust spots I’ll be fixing up on my 01 Silverado. The whole sanding, bondo, primer, etc stuff all seems pretty straightforward.

My question is, what should I do for the base coat? My trucks colour is indigo metallic (39U colour code). I know Dupli Color Perfect match makes some rattle cans for this specific colour, but I’m worried the shade of blue will be off or the rattle can application won’t look great. I’ve been toying around with getting a can of paint from a Local paint shop, but I’ll need some sort of sprayer to get the job done and not sure what to get.

For anyone who’s done some paint work, what worked for you? Did dupli color perfect match work great for you, or did you have a better alternative?
Original Poster
AirPuffedSugar
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: WT
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L 4x4 4.10ar
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Best method to paint fixed up rust spots?

Postby ricka182 » Jun 25 2020, 11:58am

Any paint you use won't match to a 2001. The sun has likely faded the surrouding paint, you just don't notice it...yet. Not until you have fresh paint of the same color in the mix. Also, I would use a GM paint for the closet match.

Also, where ever you think you have rust, expect to see that rust on the back side even more. And you need to remove ALL rust in the area, otherwise it will just creep back and make you not happy when you see your new paint bubbling off. And a rattle can isn't the easiest to get it evenly applied, due to trigger and can pressure.

How big of a spot or spots are you doing?...
2006 Silverado 1500
Atomic Coilover Conversion - Viking Warrior/PAC Springs
RCX 6" lift
Cognito UCAs
American Outlaw Bandit wheels - 17x9/-10
BFG A/T KO2 - 285/70/17
Corsa DB Catback
New Pic coming soon

Illegitimi non carborundum
ricka182
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 177
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2006
Variant: Z71
Extra Info: 5.3L V8
Group Membership:
Servicemen
SilveradoSierra Guru
Global moderators
Registered users

Re: Best method to paint fixed up rust spots?

Postby AirPuffedSugar [OP] » Jun 25 2020, 5:07pm

Yeah, I’m aware that the paint isn’t going to be identical due to sun fade so I’ll be wet sanding and buffing everything to even it all out once it’s done.

Couple spots around the rear wheel wells, and then everything else is on the bottom of fenders / swapping the rocker panels. I’ve got chrome covers that will cover up 95% of the paint job around the wheel wells and everything else shouldn’t be too hard! I’m fortunate that this truck is in good shape in the visible spots.

And yes, I’m helping my buddy with his gmt400 Bodywork and I’ve already seen what poor rust removal looks like after a few years, I’ll taking the time to truly remove everything!
Original Poster
AirPuffedSugar
Topics: 5
Year: 2001
Variant: WT
Extra Info: 1500 4.8L 4x4 4.10ar
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Exterior