jQuery not supported.

Front Winch Bumper That DOES NOT Hide The Winch

Why does every bumper I look at hide/block access to the winch?!

Front Winch Bumper That DOES NOT Hide The Winch

Postby rsollman [OP] » Nov 15 2013, 8:44pm

I'm wanting to get a front bumper for my 1500 that will allow for winch hookup. The only issue I'm running into is finding a bumper that allows easy access to the winch. My WARN 9.5Ti has a lever that switches from powered and free-rolling the spool and I'd hate to have to power-out all 125ft of cable should I need it sometime. I'm also pretty meticulous about how my cable winds up on the spool and don't like the idea of not being able to monitor it as it pulls in.

I've found several great, heavy-duty bumpers out there but every one seems to hide the winch within it and only allows room for the cable and fairlead on the exterior. I have Iron Cross side-steps, and they have some great front bumpers, but nothing with any open access to my winch.

The best bumper I've found so far is the Boondock 150-95-035 series. No access to the winch.

Besides having to custom fab once from scratch, or mod'ing a pre-made bumper, has anyone seen a bumper like I'm describing? I wouldn't mind have the bumper protrude 6" or more if it meant I could get to the winch. Attached is the current setup I have on my Jeep which is really like.
Attachments
jeep_bumper_example.jpg
An idea of how much room I currently have with my Jeep winch bumper.
GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Diesel, 5" exhaust, 35" All-Terrain TA KO2 tires, wheel-to-wheel nerf bars, Kenwood DDX5706S, Rhinoliner bed liner, 5th wheel hitch
Original Poster
rsollman
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 8
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.6L Turbo
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Front Winch Bumper That DOES NOT Hide The Winch

Postby BigJimboFitz » Nov 15 2013, 9:00pm

Ranch Hand Legend Series [or Sport Series with H2"R (hidden 2" receiver)], get a 2" winch reciever mount and plug her in. I personally like the fairly covered models as it helps protect my winch in the event of an impact. However, I like the 2" receiver option because lets be honest, I dont need the winch there at all times. Easy enough to remove the winch and plug it in when you need it. Unless, of course, you were awesome like me and bought the warn 16.5... whew that suckers heavy.
2006 GMC Sierra SLT CC 5.3 LM7 - Sold
2013 Silverado 2500 HD Z-71
BigJimboFitz
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 41
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: HD 2500 6.0L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tcnoakes » Nov 15 2013, 9:25pm

Most everyone that I have seen that has the winch mounted inside the bumper has cutouts on top of the bumper to see/reach into...
Like this.... I would call that pretty easy access....
tcnoakes
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 44
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby rsollman [OP] » Nov 15 2013, 9:32pm

That's a good point tcnoakes, I guess I haven't seen many shots of bumpers with angles that show the opening that well. Or maybe they're all just black on black. Something like that would be easy enough to reach down into; wonder if the bull/grille guard would interfere any? I'm wanting that on it too.
GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Diesel, 5" exhaust, 35" All-Terrain TA KO2 tires, wheel-to-wheel nerf bars, Kenwood DDX5706S, Rhinoliner bed liner, 5th wheel hitch
Original Poster
rsollman
Topics: 8
Year: 2004
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.6L Turbo
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby slw206 » Nov 15 2013, 9:34pm

i know its a F**d.. but DAMN, that truck looks nice
slw206
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 57
Year: 2010
Extra Info: SLE extended cab 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jimnfor » Nov 15 2013, 10:17pm

^^^^ lol I thought the same thing. It's ok to appreciate a nice truck IMO.
*under construction*
jimnfor
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Extra Info: 5.3 Tahoe LT
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Return to Exterior