jQuery not supported.

Grill update

Plasti dipped

Grill update

Postby SouthernSilverado50 [OP] » Jul 25 2013, 3:18am

So I found all my half used cans of Plasti dip laying around the shop today and decided that I would do my front grill.
Let me know what yall think.
Tomorrow im going to shoot it with a coat or two of clear coat to give it a nice shine and put the ranch hand back on.
Then do the rear bumper to match.
Hopefully get a buddy to trade that gaudy chrome toolbox for a nice black one and Ill have gotten rid of all the chrome. Finally! :D

Going to mount the brush guard back up tomorrow too. I was going to clear and mount the ranch hand tonight but my help took off on me. SO I wasn't about to try to mount a brush guard by myself. Let me know what yall think.
Ill get updated pics with the ranch hand back on there and after the clear.

Oh the joys of working as a mechanic in a bodyshop!!!! :D :D :D

But :D next up is all new led lights, ordered today and should show up sometime tomorrow or the next few days
Attachments
IMG_0130.JPG
Prep work
IMG_0134.JPG
2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3 / Ready Lift Leveling Kit / Tow Mirrors / Ranch Hand Grill / 130w KC Slimlites / Borla Catback / Fosgate System / Blacked out bumpers / Debadged / Neoprene Camo Seat covers / LED conversions / 30 % Tint / 33" Kelly TSR Safari
Original Poster
SouthernSilverado50
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Re: Grill update

Postby 11gmcdixie » Jul 25 2013, 4:06am

Hell yeah, that stuff is awesome!! Grille/bumper came out good
SOLD
11gmcdixie
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: CCSB 6.2L AWD
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Mtz2013rw » Jul 25 2013, 4:08am

Looks badass, good work!
Mtz2013rw
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby toesfoote » Jul 25 2013, 4:12am

Love the blacked out look!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2013 Silverado 7Z1 All Star Edition
8" Superlift Suspension Lift
35" Pro Comp XTREME MT2
K&N Intake
Bullydog GT Tuner
DynoMax mini race bullet with the exhaust dumped at the rear axel

toesfoote
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Year: 2013
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 5.3L Z71 LT Ext. Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby iTzTy » Jul 25 2013, 4:21am

Looks good, and I know this might be a stupid question, but did you tape off the mesh in your grille? lol
2010 Silverado 1500 Z71 Victory Red
iTzTy
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SouthernSilverado50 [OP] » Jul 25 2013, 6:05am

Thanks everyone. And yes I did tape over the inlay of my grille. I laid mesh over it basically cuz I had wires running back there for the off road lights and didn't want to get plasti dip all over them as we'll as the radaitor. Didn't wanna wind up with no lights and a truck that was overheating. But it was originally black and not chrome. So that saved me that much work lol :lol:
2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3 / Ready Lift Leveling Kit / Tow Mirrors / Ranch Hand Grill / 130w KC Slimlites / Borla Catback / Fosgate System / Blacked out bumpers / Debadged / Neoprene Camo Seat covers / LED conversions / 30 % Tint / 33" Kelly TSR Safari
Original Poster
SouthernSilverado50
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Postby mojorisin » Jul 25 2013, 11:52am

Looks like a work truck now.
I don't mind the plasti dip, but in my opinion PD'ing the grill and bumper just makes these look like W/T.
Personally, I'd go color matched. Especially on a black truck.
Black LTZ grill would look sweet!
I have dozens of friends, and the fun never ends, that is, as long as I'm buying!
mojorisin
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 6
Year: 2006
Extra Info: Crew Cab 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Wade_660 » Jul 25 2013, 12:09pm

You work in a body shop and you're spraying your truck with plastidip?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Wade_660
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 12
Year: 2007
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 1500 NNBS CCSB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby KittyDangerous » Jul 25 2013, 12:12pm

Damn, that looks gooooooood! Is plasti-dip what is suggested to use on grilles now-a-days? I'm wanting to get mine done, but I'm afraid paint will just chip off.
KittyDangerous
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 1500 Ext Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SouthernSilverado50 [OP] » Jul 25 2013, 10:47pm

Thanks guys. I really like the look. And with the ranch hand back on it doesn't have a work truck look. The result is much different in person than it is in pictures. Believe me if it took away from te truck or looked bad it wouldn't be on there.
And I work in a body shop and I am plasti dipping. I'm sure most don't realize the process that goes into painting a grille to match when it is currently chrome. It's a lot more than shooting paint on it. And as soon as the other members want to start donating funds for a Ltz grille I'm happy with the one I have now. Plus no worries about rock chips or anything like that. That's a major plus.
I just don't have the money to get a Ltz grille and color match it. But thanks for everyone's positive input. Ill get a couple shots of it tonight with the ranch hand on it and put em up tomorrow. I gotta hot date tonight so pics will have to wait!
Original Poster
SouthernSilverado50
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Next

Return to Exterior