jQuery not supported.

Has anyone cut the shark fin in half?

Clearance issues with garage

Re: Has anyone cut the shark fin in half?

Postby GOAT721 » Jul 03 2019, 3:21pm

Bradley21sanders wrote:absolutely asinine to cost 1k to fix the hole. Guess im in the wrong business.

If they are welding in a panel and removing the headliner and all of that then sure it would be closer to 500 and I would expect that.

Also $300 for mirror caps is stupid too paint probably costs $20 and 1-2 hours later its painted. business has to make profit though so I guess that's about right.

Its just not that hard to paint a smaller area such as the roof and feather it out. I painted an entire truck for $850 DIY, and that was buying the gun and body prep stuff. Guess they are charging a small job fee like concrete companies do if you don't need a lot.

I hope that plug works for you OP, I don't like the fin really either and have thought about trying to get rid of it since I don't need it. keep us updated for sure!

you have to assume $100 an hour for any labor
2015, 1500, Z71, Crew Cab, 6'4" Bed
GOAT721
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Shifting into Gear [L3]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 CCRB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Zrock » Jul 03 2019, 3:49pm

Plus they are going to be tying up a bay for a day or 2 plus paint booth and paint whole roof not just patch it in. Cant expect a shop to tye up resources for that long when they could be working on a much better paying job. I would have been surprised if a good shop would have actually booked in that type of job as it would have cost them money in lost time/space on a larger job.
Zrock
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fourth Gear [L3]
Topics: 59
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby barbersboy [OP] » Jul 03 2019, 4:11pm

The shop I had estimate it has a very good reputation here in town. I wouldn’t take my truck to someone I didn’t trust. I found the 1k to be about right, just more than I wanted to spend on an area that I don’t look at very often.
My wife hates when I do things to my truck
Original Poster
barbersboy
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 26
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: 6.2
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wycowboy » Jul 03 2019, 4:38pm

I didn't cut the one on the 2005 GMC I used to own but a previous owner broke it in half. Since I was not going to use OnStar or XM I never worried about it. It never leaked water into the cab either as far as I know. I only owned the truck for a little over a year though.
wycowboy
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 6.0L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ElReeso » Jul 03 2019, 4:40pm

Cost totally depends on area and how much you do...
I removed the antenna, lowered the Headliner for easy access and they just welded it and painted the whole roof (was scratched, XM Antenna removal was just because it was perfect timing). That job did cost me about 800 bucks including painting windshield frame at the top and the area where the door seals attach

2010 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L 4x4 WT Trim

2" Torsion Key Lift

Cragars Black Window 17x9

BFG KM2 265/70 R17

ElReeso
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2010
Extra Info: 2500 HD 6.0L WT 4x4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby barbersboy [OP] » Jul 04 2019, 1:58am

I still have a thin layer of rtv to clean off around the cap but you can see what it looks like.
Attachments
FB94627E-7E1B-48E3-B638-CF0375F6A579.jpeg
My wife hates when I do things to my truck
Original Poster
barbersboy
Topics: 26
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: 6.2
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Exterior