jQuery not supported.

Headlights - missing adjustment screw?

Headlights - missing adjustment screw?

Postby BobK [OP] » Jun 27 2020, 4:46pm

After removing my headlight assemblies to change out the bulbs and seal a leak, I see on the back there's a 10mm bolt which I think is probably to adjust the low beams. I looked up headlight adjustment and see that there should be plastic adjusters that you can access from the open hood. But the ones I have just have a 10mm hex bolt in the back that turns a toothed cog, with an opening to the top that looks like it once had some type of adjustment screw. (These look to be aftermarket units). I'm attaching a photo looking down from the top.

Assuming there's a missing adjustment screw, I'm not sure if I should worry about trying to find a replacement before I re-install them? Looks like the adjustment screw goes up through the engine cover and sits on top. But can I just add the screw later after I re-install the headlights and put the cover back?

Original Poster
BobK
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 7
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Headlights - missing adjustment screw?

Postby BobK [OP] » Jun 27 2020, 5:03pm

I'm looking around online but can't seem identify what the missing part is.
Original Poster
BobK
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Headlights - missing adjustment screw?

Postby BobK [OP] » Jun 27 2020, 5:26pm

I found a You Tube vid of someone adjusting his truck's headlights and it looks like the adjustment screws are not under the engine cover, they're off to the side. So I'm pretty sure I can just access my 10mm screws to do the adjustment. Here's a screenshot of what I found
He says turn it clockwise to point the headlight up and counter-clockwise to point it down.
Original Poster
BobK
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Exterior